833 Shift Pattern

-

Wyolemontwist

Reaction score
Not being all that familiar with the 833 transmission, I have a question about the shift pattern. I recently bought a 1972 Duster 340. From what I have seen on this transmission the location for reverse is over to the left and up. The transmission in my car for reverse is over to the left and down. The guy I bought it from said he had the wrong shifter in it. That is obvious since the shifter is too long and has a sharp bend in it. So the when I go into reverse I have to move my leg over and the shifter is against the seat (bench seat). The shifer is also very close to the seat in second and fourth. It just seems wrong to me that reverse is over to the left and down. Can this be changed by adjusting the linkage?

i dont believe you can make it do that as the shifter is designed so reverse is in a lock out position to make it shift opposite of what it does now you would need a shifter designed that way

The reverse plate is upside down on your transmission and this is what is causing your problem with reverse. Simply remove the 1/2" nut turn the plate upsidedown. You'll probably have to readjust the shifter, after putting the plate in the correct position. Regarding the seat problem, you probably have the wrong shifter plate on the trans.

We can help you with the shifter plate if you can tell us which one you currently have (should be a number on it 2298 or 6350). Please feel free to call if you have any questions.

Hope this info. helps. :thumleft:

Bob
Outrageously Vintage, Inc.
207-342-2704

If the reverse arm on the shifter is not long enough with the lever on the tranny pointing up (as it should) the shift rod will not clear the tranny cross member, flipping the lever over so it points down will give you some clearance (at the expensive the backwards reverse position). This is likely why the PO said it's the wrong shifter.

Go ahead and flip the lever as Bob said but you may not be able connect the rod.

As far as the handle hitting your leg and the seat you can always take it off the shifter and do a little customizing (i.e., put it in a vice and bend it). Jus make sure you do your tweaking below the boot so any marks or flacked chrome won't show. I don't have the correct handle on my shifter either. I have tried three different ones and wound up with a big long one from a pick-up shifter and cut 6" off the bottom and put a bend in it so it sits to the passenger side and forward to clear my seat and leg.

the reverse lockout is built into the shifter how you going to make the shifter go forward when it deadendz at the nuetral gate ? I understand about flipping the arms over I was going to mention that to him myself then it dawned on me ....you cant change reverse from being over and down to over and up when there ain't no up . I looked at 2 shifters and both are designed with that part blocked off. At least on the shifters I have had the reverse gate isnt like 1st & 2nd where you have total throw it is only half of the throw. I know i been away from comp plus shifters for awhile (I use a verti-gate I shifter my self) but unless they changed something there you cant re design that by flipping the shift arms over

Outlaw the standard position for reverse on a mopar 4spd is over and up.

The Hurst shifter in my car does not care which way the reverse lever goes. There is nothing in the shifter that prevents an over and up or over and down postion for reverse.

When I installed the 4spd for the first time I had the lever upside down and it went into reverse over to the left and down just fine. Would likely have left it that way if I had a knob with that pattern.

The only lockout in the standard Hurst Shifters I am familiar with is the extra spring pressure to move it over. The Super Shifter with the seperate lever for reverse lockout is the only one that I can think of that might prevent it from floping the reverse position. Certainly the factory Hurst you can.

I'll be damned I looked at an old hurst and even not connected to the car the shifter is spring loaded like you said but you can only pull it back it wont go forward.... oh well live and learn ...LOL Guess I been using this verti -gate for so long I forgot what an H patten shifter is like ...LOL ( I know I'll never go back to one )LOL

Well if it won't go forward then it's not a mopar shifter. Can't imagine what it would go to all the car 4spds from GM, Ford and mopar I have ever driven reveres was always over and forward, up next to first gear.

I don't know if this is the same thing I ran into, but I rebuilt my shifter and put it toghter backwards by mistake. I have the banyon style shifter with the sharp bend in it and reverse was working oposite of what it was supposed to. I had placed the internals in backwards in the body of the shifter.

convcuda69

-
Back