904 pushbutton with no neutral

-

mnmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,

This problem has ben getting progressively worse on my 64 Valiant. I depress the Neutral button (and in return it depresses me) with no effect. it stays in drive. It shifts through the gears and reverse normally. I've had the transmission serviced without effect. When I use the parking lever, that works fine. One final piece of the puzzle is that it has always had trouble starting in Park. And I have had to go though the routine of having to find the sweet spot with the buttons before she'll fire.

I looked in my 64 Chilton's and it kind of says start over, pull the cable. But before I did something that could potentially sideline my car I was hoping for a little advice.

Thanks!

Wish I could help but I've never worked on a cable shift. There are a few guys on here that have though. Maybe this bump back to the top of the page will get some attention.

Those mechanisms are pretty simple and it sounds like there is probably just a small issue with the slide that moves up and down behind the buttons.
You will probably have to take it loose from the dash to see anything usefull, but if you can get it off the dash with the shift mechanism intact you will probably see right away what is causing it.

did you adjust the cable? -might be the adjustment is out a little, when you place it in park it goes to neutral fine?
do you have the manual (not chilton's) how the procedure? Lawrence

I think adjusting the cable is the key. Or at least an easy first step. I have a couple manuals neither describes the adjusting to any depth. The good news is I did find neutral. It was hiding between it and reverse. I feel like I'm looking for that perfect note on a tuba!

I think adjusting the cable is the key. Or at least an easy first step. I have a couple manuals neither describes the adjusting to any depth. The good news is I did find neutral. It was hiding between it and reverse. I feel like I'm looking for that perfect note on a tuba!

See if this helps.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

Everything I see says the best way to adjust it is with the pan off.

Thanks TrailBeast. That is the best explanation I've seen to date. Bookmarked for the weekend.

Thanks again!

great find-- any way to make that a sticky? been some push button questions lately ,Lawrence

-
Back