93 magnum engine questions

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok found a 93 magnum engine under 100k on engine. Was thinking of buying it . Is there any differ difference in the first yr magnum engine as far as power potential, compression and heads or same as newer ones..

Is it a 5.2 or 5.9? I think the only differences are the cam specs, they did change some through the years. The electronics are different, but the basic long block didn't change. 100k, it should be clean inside.

5.2 ( & 3.9) had a cam change in '94
5.9 had a cam change in '96 ( probably best production magnum cam)
In ' 94 exhaust manifold outlets were reduced in size for all engines.
There are a also different exhaust manifold for trucks, vans & jeeps.

5.2 ( & 3.9) had a cam change in '94
5.9 had a cam change in '96 ( probably best production magnum cam)
In ' 94 exhaust manifold outlets were reduced in size for all engines.
There are a also different exhaust manifold for trucks, vans & jeeps.

71scamp, to the best of my knowledge, the 5.2 cams are all the same, .439" lift at 190 ish duration at .050". some at 112 and some at 114. The 112 seem to be the ones that get 10-13 mpg and the 114 are the ones that get 18.

SSVDP, Not trying to doubt you, more curious if you have found something I have not.

Other than one exception, I have never seen a cam in a 5.9 that I would consider good, much less best, what are the specs? The only specs I know of are .398" and 410" lift at very low duration. There have been arguments about the existence of an R/T cam with .475" lift but most say it was MP part, not factory piece. I tend to disagree but wasnt at factory to watch them being built sooo its it possible that it was installed after the fact but that would not account for HP #'s of 275 for some R/T or 98 Grand Cherokee Limited engines. The doubters claim that its pcm programming that makes the diff but I say no way its 30 hp with a simple flash, but a cam and a flash I believe. The 5.2 cam is .439" lift and I am not aware of anything close in a 5.9 other than the "R/T" cam I mentioned.

OP , best thing you can do to a mag is better cam and EQ heads. One of our most popular 5.2 grinds is [email protected]" .520" lift 114 LSA , lots of torque and doesnt always need a pcm flash although there is always room for improvement with one. We have a valve spring/retainer/lock package that is a bolt on for EQ heads and on stock heads with guide trim. Really wakes them up but good MPG and drive ability still.

-
Back