A/C line routing

-

74DartSprt

Reaction score
I have a '74 Dart Sport 318 which came with factory A/C. When I bought it 13 years ago the A/C parts were in the trunk. I recently cleaned some of the parts up, and the others that needed replacing I could get from the local parts store. Since the lines weren't on the car when I bought it, I don't really know where they go. I was on another site and someone posted pics for a '70 Duster for me. They are similar, but not exactly. I layed everything on the floor the way it would go on the car. On the Duster and some other cars I've seen, there is a steel line that runs the length of the passenger inner fender. I know I don't have that steel line, but after I layed the parts out I found I have a line that is steel with a male fitting, goes to a rubber hose, then to a steel line again for like an inch or so, then back to rubber, then steel again with another male fitting. I believe this is the line that runs the length of the inner fender from the expansion valve to the drier. I was wondering if anyone has some pics or diagrams (or know where I can get some) of the A/C system? I found a Dart in the junkyard with A/C, but the next time I went to get some parts and take some pics, the car was gone. I checked the gallery here for the members cars with no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If either of your cars has the receiver drier between the grill and the rad support, they should help. Like I said before my I've seen cars with a steel line running the length of the inner fender. My car has this rubber hose. If I can't find out how it is supposed to go, maybe I could just get a steel line. I'm going to Carlisle in July, so I might just run what I can and figure the rest out when I get there. Thanks for the reply!

74DartSprt said:
If either of your cars has the receiver drier between the grill and the rad support, they should help. Like I said before my I've seen cars with a steel line running the length of the inner fender. My car has this rubber hose. If I can't find out how it is supposed to go, maybe I could just get a steel line. I'm going to Carlisle in July, so I might just run what I can and figure the rest out when I get there. Thanks for the reply!

both do. i'll post pics asap. prolly take em tomorrow and plost em tomorrow night.

Thanks that should help alot. I especially need pics of the line from the expansion valve forward, and from the drier to the condensor. I noticed on the V8s the lines attach at the top of each side of the condensor. I have the line from the compressor to the driver inner fender then to the condensor. I know some of these connections I don't have (like the one from the line to the drier). Do you know where I might be able to get some of them? There is an air conditioning place nearby that I'm going to check if they can make them or something. I already have a Classic Auto Air catalog, but I have to check again if they make steel lines. I don't need any of the hoses which I know they have kits for. Thanks again for the pics.

heres what i have. they are off a 71 dart 318 and the only difference might be the intake. other than that its identical to my 72 plynouth 318 A\C setup

DSCF0055.jpg

ad6e18ab.jpg

1ad158a1.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

I see your car has the steel line down the inner fender, too. I'm going to take a pic of my line. I believe there should be some fittings and steel lines between my expansion valve and this hose. There probably is another one between the hose and drier. Thanks

-
Back