A833 input shaft Q's

-

Tadjou

Reaction score
I bought a used input shaft off ebay for my spare A833. I need to replace the input shaft on the spare because someone accidentally snapped of the first two inches of the shaft where it goes in the pilot hole when removing it from their car.

The ebay seller sent me two input shaft saying that the one I bought may be too short. It looks like it was cut down 1 inch. The other input shaft is of normal length. I don't know why he just didn't send me the good one in the first place. They are both 24 tooth.

My question is, I have read of people cutting down the input shaft for a reason but I can't recall why. Does anyone know?

You cut an inch off an 833 so it will go in a GM vehicle. When I was a GM guy I used 833's in my cars because GM couldn't build a tranny strong enough to get out of a wet paper bag. You can still use the cut off input shaft in a Mopar application if you use the Dakota pilot bearing. This style pilot bearing fits in the torque convertor register hole.

Chuck

You cut an inch off an 833 so it will go in a GM vehicle. When I was a GM guy I used 833's in my cars because GM couldn't build a tranny strong enough to get out of a wet paper bag. You can still use the cut off input shaft in a Mopar application if you use the Dakota pilot bearing. This style pilot bearing fits in the torque convertor register hole.

Chuck

Cool. Thanks.

also, sometime chrysler didnt drill the hole in the end of the crank deep enough. i had to cut my input shaft to get it to seat in the bellhousing

340 mopar,,great piece of info,,what year is that dakota pilot bearing in the converter register?? and is it a roller bearing or bushing????

yes very true some crankshfts are not drilled for a pilot bushing,,and some are drilled a different size ,,there are 2 different pilot bushings

chuck,,thanks a bunch,,, now all i have to do is se if this bearing will work on the tremec conversion i gonna do

-
Back