Actual wheel width

-

berry-cuda

Reaction score
so when measuring for back spacing and such how much extra should you add in for actual width say a wheel is 9" should you account for actually 10? Thanks

Backspace is backspace. It's measured from the outside lip of the rim to the mounting surface, so, there shouldn't be any reason to add anything to it.

Now, if you're planning on installing a 15x9 you do need to remember that rim is 10" wide outside lip to outside lip.

If you're trying to figure out the clearance to the spring, for example, I use the tire section width, backspace, and rim width. So, if you have an 11" tire section width, subtract the overall rim width and divide by two. So, that's a 1/2" in this case. Add that to the backspace, plus whatever clearance you want to have. Then compare that to the distance from the spring to the wheel mounting surface.

Ok so backspace is measured to the actual lip of the rim and not bead surface, so the extra width would be added on the other side, is this correct?

I plan on running a 285/40r17 on the back on a 9.5"rim section width is 11.4 so about 1/2 past the back spacing plus whatever clearance I want right?

-
Back