Added timing= running out of fuel??

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
Last night I installed an MSD pro billet distributor. My old distributor was running 20 degrees base timing, all in at 1700 rpm with 30 total. The new pro billet setup is 26 base at idle, starting the advance around 1500, ending at 2700 with 36 degrees. When I stand on the throttle, in the mid-top of second gear, the motor feels like it lies down, like its running out of fuel. I can rig up a fuel pressure gauge to the cab and monitor, assuming it’s a fuel problem. Is it possible for 6 degrees more base and total timing to make a motor starve for fuel? I know a problem may lie in the tiny 5/16 fuel line, but the motor has never done this before with the old distributor…
Combo is:
415 stroker, air gap, 800 Holley DP, Carter high volume mechanical pump, 6al box, 5-16 fuel line

Actually now that I think about it, the motor could have been detonating. I was about out of gas, so for the first time on this motor I ran ethanol fuel, usually I run pure gas. thougts on that?

but there was NO loud audible detonation, it was just like the ignition had been shut off momentarily. I thought all detonation was noticabally loud??

Thats what I am starting to suspect after talking to a buddy of mine. I guess running this fuel out and putting pure gas in will fix me... hopefully...

-
Back