An acceleration stutter. Points or Carb?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 dodge d \6. got the engine rebuilt and running. Issue I had prior to having it rebuilt was a pause/stutter when accelerating too fast. If I slowly push pedal, it will run smooth. However if I am driving, then decide to push gas pedal down like to pass, or just to go faster, I will get a pause in the engine (like a stall) but then kicks back in.
I still have this same issue now that engine is rebuilt. Could this be a problem with the points? Or does this sound more like a carberator problem? It is the single bbl Holley type.

I have replaced sparkplugs and wires and rotor and cap.

thanks for any help.

Where is the point dwell set?

Bringing this thread back to life. Now that I have replaced distributor. I thought it was running better. But now it is back to the stutter when I accelerate from slow to fast. Someone said I can see the squirter with engine off? Is it actually possible to see fuel squirt if the engine is off and fuel pump is off? Would advancing the ignition make any difference in acceleration stutter?
Also I did just receive the Carb rebuild kit from Mikes, and thinking about trying it and while at it do the Fuel Line mod like Slant 6 site says to do. Thoughts or ideas?

As for Dwell , I have no idea how to tell where Dwell is set, I know points was gapped at 18. I do have a very old Dwell Meter thing but all it seems to give me is RPM?

I wanted to update this thread. I pulled the carb and rebuilt it. When I reinstalled I noticed that the Choke vent thingy was binding agains the large throttle stop screw. Causing it to open the vent on the fuel bowl too soon. So I bent the tang a little and now it open vents when the large washer hits it. Took care of the stutter. Now I am having an issue with the fast idle, not stepping down. But that will be another thread....

-
Back