another tire question...

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dodge Dart and i am looking for a tall tire (28 inch if possible), something like 235/70/15 or maybe even a 255 but all i find are T rated tires which is only good to 118mph. i am looking for something like a U rating or higher but i am having no luck probably due to the fact that i have 15's on my car. What is everyone else doing?
thanks

Where are you going to be driving a 69 Dart where you need a tire rated for sustained speeds over 118 mph?

If you do have a need for a higher rating then you should be looking to use a performance tire and be looking at tires sizes that are available in the higher speed ratings. A 235/70-15 is not a tire size that you would ever have found on a car capable of sustained speeds in excess of 118 mph.

well the reason i want a car with a H rating or better is because i bought a set of S rated Bf Goodrich's and it was horrible. no traction whatsoever and if i threw it into a corner it would fishtail easily. I was told i need a tire with a stronger sidewall and a higher speed rating because these tires with lower speed ratings just are not the greatest as far as noise and handling goes. I now have a set of yokohama avid tires but they no longer make them and i am left having to make a decision on what tires to buy..what tires does everybody else for daily driving??

Bigger rims would help with the sidewall flex and you may be able to find higher speed rated tires in a bigger rime size too. Mabby 17's would be good.

The speed rating has nothing to do with traction. The speed rating is a function of how much heat they can dissipate which allows them to run at higher sustained speeds without failure. Typically for the same size tire the higher speed rating will have a thinner side wall and will need to be run at a higher pressure. Also, the tires with higher speed ratings typically will have a more agressive tread patten which will make them noisier too.

Probably the single most popular tire for old muscle cars is the B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A. This is a good all around street tire; smooth running, quiet not great for straight traction but OK and is about the only tire that is still available in all the 14" & 15" sizes. Unless you have done a lot of suspension upgrades these tires are better than the suspension of your car.

I currently have Radial T/As in 225/60-15's for the front and 255/60-15's for the back on my 68 Barracuda. Prior to that I had 235/60-14 Goodyear Wingfoot HPs. Goodyear, Dunlap, Firestone, Cooper still all sell and equivalent tire to the Radial T/A but don't have as many size choices.

If you are really in need of an H speed rating or higher then you will have to start looking at 16" or larger rims.

Seems like a decent tire but it certainly isn't a high perfromance tire. Also the link is to a 235/75-15 size you linked to is an awful tall tire for a Dart, that size certainly won't fit on the front. That is a size you would expect to see on a pick-up or SUV.

You mentioned wanting more traction, why aren't you looking at 60 series tires? I am running 255/60-15's on the rear of my Barracuda and they fill up the wheel well nicely and are about 2" shorter.

I was pondering the thought of having some 255/60/15's but i have been told that on my Dart it wont fit but would it? i currently have 245/60/15 and they fit no problem and it can fit 2 fingers in between the tire and the outer part of the wheel well so i thought they would fit but i dont really see a lot of ppl with this size tire, i only see ppl with my current combo or smaller like a 235/60/15. do you know of anyone with a dart who has this tire size? is your cars wheel well identical to mine???

I believe the 67-69 Barracuda and Duster / Demon / Dart Sports have a bigger rear wheel well than a Dart of Valiant.

Why not stick with the 245/60 size? It's going to have a much wider tread than a 235/75 both do the section width and aspect ratio.

-
Back