any advantage to a 5.2 over a 5.9 ?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Just wondered if there is any reason to do a 5.2 rather than a 5.9

Obviously the 5.9 will have more power, but will the 5.2 get better mileage.

Will a 5.2 be a major improvement over my old 318 ? Old engine is low compression due to 360 heads.

Seems to be more 5.2's available around here for a decent price.
Guys selling 5.9's are wanting $750 to $1000 for one with mileage from 100k to 181k.

Or would you figure, if your doing the swap might as well go for the bigger engine?

Yes. If it is a street car, I would go with the 5.2 in a minute. Mileage is better than a slant as long as you don't go wild and you can easily get 325 HP from it.

you can easily get 325 HP from it.

Can you define "easily" ?

Was planning on just pulling off the fuel injection stuff and replace is with and RPM Airgap, and my current Edelbrock 600cfm carb, maybe headers in place of my early 340 manifolds.
Where do you think that would get me?

And what do you think it would take to get to the 325 number?

Another bonus to the 5.2 is that it's internally balanced so if your running a stick no expensive flywheel.I'm doing a 5.2 into a 68 Dart right now stock short ,Lunati 20200715 cam with the long snout and correct valve springs.PP crosswind intake and a holley 600 cfm carb,Clened up magnum heads should be an honest 340hp all day.

Can you define "easily" ?

Was planning on just pulling off the fuel injection stuff and replace is with and RPM Airgap, and my current Edelbrock 600cfm carb, maybe headers in place of my early 340 manifolds.
Where do you think that would get me?

And what do you think it would take to get to the 325 number?

Throw a decent cam grind and headers on that pile and you probably got it.

Around here price is about the same for both motors... 350-500 pending on mileage. Advantages of the 318 will be gas mileage, internally balanced, and if staying with he factory cam, the 318 magnums have a little hotter cam from the factory. If you can find a '92 318, it will have even more of a hotter cam, and around 5000 rpm's, may pull harder than a 360 mag.

-
Back