Any Canadians working for US Companies?

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hi There

I have a good shot at getting a job with an American computer company. It's my old parent corporation that used to have a Canadian limited division that has sinced been disolved. I worked there 5 years and the former managers have contacted me to see if I am available to return. So now I would be working for a US company and working in Can/USA, wherever installations are happening.

Any Canuck members work for US firms? What are the laws, tax implications? Paid in US funds or conversion to Can?

Any US members know if there are restrictions in US companies requiring them to hire US citizens first or any such rules?

Any advice would be appreciated,

pete

Well, I work for a Canadian company that has gone multinational. We have Canadian managers moving south, American managers moving north and we even have a terminal in China so we can distribute all those cheap Chinese made goodies we have become so fond of. If the company wants you to cross the border, they will clear the road for you. Don't be surprised is you get some grumpy reactions about taking an American job. The job situation is not good down there and this is not likely welcome news. Same goes for Americans coming up here. I see it every day.

Hi There

I have a good shot at getting a job with an American computer company. It's my old parent corporation that used to have a Canadian limited division that has sinced been disolved. I worked there 5 years and the former managers have contacted me to see if I am available to return. So now I would be working for a US company and working in Can/USA, wherever installations are happening.

Any Canuck members work for US firms? What are the laws, tax implications? Paid in US funds or conversion to Can?

Any US members know if there are restrictions in US companies requiring them to hire US citizens first or any such rules?

Any advice would be appreciated,

pete

Up until 3 years ago I worked for Siemens out of New Jersey was with them for 10 yrs. but my payroll and deductions were handled out of their office in Calgary. Has your company got an office, any office, in Canada cuss if they do get yourself paid out of there in Can$ and do your UI and CPP contributions out of that office. Just makes it a whole lot cleaner otherwise Rev Can could come after you for taxes on any wages made outside Canada or within Canada, it just gets real messy. The one way around it is to be paid in US$ but don't bring the money into Canada for at least one year, I think, and bank in the Carrabean but the rules seem to like change every year.
To help you get into the US, cuss you're still going to be a Canadian citizen, and living in Canada right, is have your company apply for an L1B specialized knowledge entry certificate that's good for 5 yrs., this is not a work visa. This is where the lawyers get involved and will cost your company 2 or 3K US$ and the application goes through the INS which might be the Department of Homeland Security now. Once you've got your paperwork you submit it at any US border crossing, land or air, and they'll issue you an I-94 card that goes into your passport. Once you've got that card you show it everytime you cross into the US and they don't question you at all. If they do ask what you're working at your answer WILL BE "you're not working you're giving technical advice only". Everybodies happy, you'll been checked out and the right people have been greased at the right levels.

They do have an office in Canada (London, Ont) for a different division (an acquisition) so maybe I can get payroll through there.

Sage advice. Probably learned the hard way. That's why I love this forum.

pete

-
Back