Any commercial/home painters ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Lead based house paint is getting to be a serious side of the feds. The EPA and HUD have placed into effect the long standing laws to detail the handling of the removal of lead based paint from older buildings such as you would see in a restoration in the New England area. We've got a few here and as a matter of fact i've started one and it's a 3 story dandy. The restoration, and repairs will amount to about $375,000. Now add the detailed handling of this paint issue. You must be an EPA certified renovator ($250x2, i took one of my employees) and be an EPA certified Firm which i am also($300). No one is doing this as it entails very stringent methods and guidelines for the safety of personell working on the structure and also the containment of dust and debri coming off of the affected structure. Lots of equipment to purchase but i guess there are opportunities to fill a niche that no one has the credentials for. Lots of enforcement being hired to do just that soon. Better have his ducks in a row. Any painters out there that have been certified or have even heard of this? Be interesting to know. We're here in southern Missouri in the stcks so i'll bet in the larger cities it's a nightmare.
Small Block

I heard of this in the 80's in California, they had lead remediation then. Just recently in Pa it's become an issue. My wife's girlfriend has a home painting business and is also a HUD housing inspector for the city of Sunbury, PA, was just saying the other day that the local authorities have announced they will be adopting these regulations. She is not sure if she wants to get involved, but we have alot of old houses and if she doesn't do it it'll severely cut into her business. People around here tend to be a little backward and don't see the need to pay extra for lead abatement, they never had to worry about it before, why should they now...seems to be a predominate attitude. Alot of the old houses in the city are landlord owned...can you say SLUMLORD...
I think it's a good thing and if I had a home with lead I'd want it gone..properly..
Good luck with the new adventure..

Dave

It is a big deal here in Oklahoma. Seems like I heard the fine is $27,000.
Most roofing companies are getting where they won't touch anything that has paint on it.
I have a buddy that is a painter for 40 years and he has jumped through the hoops and gotten all the crenditials.

Its even a big deal here in Arkansas. But the locals will just do it there way anyway and tell the government to pissoff. The problem is that the home owner will then hire a repoff artist and get burned and the others to "fix" the problem.
Frank

-
Back