anybody ever install a shoulder strap in a 1967 barracuda?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hey all i was wondering if anyone has ever installed a set of shoulder straps in a 67 abody? If you have do you have any pictures of the install? Is the hole in the roofline for the attachment of the shoulder strap or do you have to put one in there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Pat Faley
67 NB Barracuda
Peoria IL

The '68-'73 separate shoulder harnesses are a damnuisance and their safety performance is not very good due to the poor mounting point. They were designed for minimal/cheapest compliance with the new-for-'68 requirement that they be installed, knowing nobody was going to use them. Can't recommend retrofitting these to a car like your '67 (which no, does not have the holes).

I used to recommend retrofitting 4-point Wesco belts as I did on my '71, but not any more (the article is correct in its facts and physics, and everything said about 5-point harnesses is equally true of the 4-point variety, except the injuries that a 5-point can do to your 'nads).

When I get rid of the separate shoulder straps in my '73, I'm putting in these up-to-date, reputable-brand ECE-approved 3-point seat belts (linked vendor is reliable; I've been buying there for a decade). The 514-30 can be installed in cars without a B-pillar (such as a Barracuda). More info on mounting at the maker's website. If I needed mounting hardware, I'd buy it again from Wesco, but the Securon belts are a much better product than anything Wesco carries.

-
Back