Anybody using a drag radial with a manual trans?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I talked to the Mickey Thompson people and they said to not run drag radials with a stick. That what you all have experienced?

First I have ever heard of that, What did they give you as a reason not to use them?

Mike

a friend has 4 G-Force BFG drag radials on his WRX with a 6 speed, seems to work just fine

I have a manual trans, launch at 4500, the MT's hook great. I only run 12.7's though.

Ok conflicting info. always good to hear actual user info. Well right now no one makes a drag radial in 14" for my fish. But good info for when I go to 15" rims. Thx

My dad ran drag radials on his 97 viper gts for many years without any issues. Car ran 12.1 all day. This was a 275/40/17 nitto drag radial.

First thing is how much HP, more importantly TORQUE you have. If you're gettin' up there say...450HP/450ft. lbs, with a really good hook up, you ARE gonna break something.........unless you just drive it outta the hole.

With high HP and a good hook you have to have an adjustable or "slipper" clutch. These kinda act like a torque converter and allow some slip at the line and during a really hard shift. Unless you're a hardcore, little street time guy, don't invest in a slipper. Too much hassle for street duty, IMO.

I don't think the drag radials would hook all that well, though. The guys who get them to launch like a slick have very sophisticated rear suspensons set up for the tire.

I'd throw on the drag radials and have at it. If(when) something breaks, replace it with the best parts you can buy.

Oh. Don't race it like you stole it either
icon7.gif

The problem with drag radials with a stick is if they break lose they will not recover, you have to let completely off shift to the next higher gear and get back in to it or they will just keep spining. I run M/T 255-60 D.R. on the street and slicks at the track with a 4spd because the D.R. are to unpredictable at the track. M/T told me the same thing as you when I talked to them and they were right. Oh I am making a little north of 500 horse and 500 tork best time is 10.99 at 123.6 with a 1.54 60 ft.

-
Back