axle question

-

larry b

Reaction score
I have a 8.75 rear end the 742 housing i would like to get some after market axles . i had the originals offset drilled along with the drums for a 5 on 4.5 bolt circle but i dont think there very strong with ten holes in the flange.could anyone tell me how many spline these are?
recommend a reasonable price stronger replacement for my 72 duster.

thanx

Their standard 30 spline units. Yukon makes the next step up on axles. Moser's and Strange are top of the line. One thing I'll warn you is most aftermarket axles are designed for wider brakes than stock A-body brakes. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't make standard replacement axles but they don't. You have to special order them. Apparently they feel stock A-body rear brakes are junk and need to be replaced with larger brakes off a B or E body.

Oh yeah, when you replace the axles you also need to remove the thrust buttons in the 3rd member as all aftermarket axles are designed for using Green bearings.

I just ordered a set from dr diff. The axles with the bearings and your choice of studs already installed cost me 295 then a basic installl kit with the inner wheel seals and center section gasket was 25. He also informed me that you can use any rwd or 4wd backing plates(old mopar stuff) and brakes as long as they are 10x2 1/2 or 11x2 1/2. I had an old W150 that is now my doner vehicle. Like he said before there are yukon strange and moser too.

-
Back