B-Body 8-3/4 backspace

-

ATW

Reaction score
Hello... this is my first post at FABO but I have used this site for research for about a year.. I have a 69 Dart.. Thank you all for the great info about these cars..

My car:

dart2.jpg

My question is... I have a b-body rear end from a '69 Road Runner.. my car has the 73+ disk brake upgrade in the front with the BBP. My Road Runner rear is also the BBP.... I am in the market for new wheels..

I found a set of staggered 18" rims... the fronts are 18x8 with 4.5" BS... and the rears are 18x9.5 with 5.25" BS... From what I have read, I will be verrrrry close all the way around... (since the Bullitt rims have 5.75+- BS and fit well with B-body rear swaps)...

Can anyone confirm this package? Thanks!

I dont have those exact wheels but as far as backspacing on the rear wheels go, I have 15x8's 5.5bs 255/60/15 and they fit, kinda close to the springs but they work. rear end is from a 68 coronet.

For the front i'm running 15x7s and I believe they have 4.5 bs..the 18x8s with 4.5bs might stick out a little and you'll have to be careful with tire height. Most people on here say nothing over 26".

I have the 73+ front end. Car is a 72 demon, slightly wider rear wheel wells though, not sure it will matter for the backspacing...

If you moved the perches in a 1/2" to match a-body springs and the b-body rearend is about 3" wider than the a-body, that should allow more back spacing 1 3/4" +/- Correct???

I know on my duster it allowed more back space, I didn't measure it exactly.

Most people on this site knows my opinion on B-Body rear ends in A-Bodies. They're not bad in a Duster, Demon or 67-69 Barracuda because you have a larger wheel opening for clearance but it looks like crap in a Dart or early A

The B-Body rear is about 3+" wider and the offset of the wheels you need to run to clear the wheel wells in a Dart or early A is so much that they look like front wheel drive wheels.

If you care enough about the car to do it right then save your money and get an A-Body rear end, either an 8 3/4 and get new axles or use an 8 1/4 which already has the bbp. Another option is the 57-59 Ford 9", they are a bolt in with no mods needed except for the drive shaft, my personal choice would be the 8 1/4 unless you need the strength.

This is just my opinion but short cuts like this to save money or the time to find the right part, always seem to come back to bite you in the a$$, The quality of the finished project will always show the effort or lack there of that was invested in it.

-
Back