B body rear,

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Putting a B Body rear into an A body and the factory perches have already been removed when I got it. So my question is, to get the proper measurement for the perches, can I use the inside flange of the housing to place the new perches ? I had thought of removing the 8/14 rear and placing the 8/34 rear on the springs, but not sure where to take a measurement from to be sure the 8/34 rear is in the right location. It could be very possible that the 8/34 could not be centered under the car, which what I mean is one side be further in or out that the other. If the housing still had the factory perches I would be able to mark and remove them and install the new ones from the reference point of the old ones. Maybe I'm giving this to much thought, LOL, Thanks..:D

I could be wrong about this so take it with a grain of salt.
I would measure the distance center to center of the front spring hangars and use that as my perch center.
But before I did anything permanant I would also measure center to center on the rear shackle points and see if it needed any minor adjustment because of it.

This is just how I would do it.

I know that the perches need to be moved inward .5 inches on each side to put a B body rear end in, but without the originals on it there is nothing to go on with that info.

I'm not sure if I could get measurements from an A body 8/34, say the inside of the flange to the original center hole of the original perches then use that measurement to locate the new perches while on jack stands on the floor. I guess all I have to do is use a level on the perches before tack welding them on the housing, but getting the initial measurement on location would be the first step. I looked at different measurements on this site and others which are all seam about the same, but in my situation they don't help. Using your method does seem logical as a reference point.

-
Back