Basic Igniton problem... no spark

-

BuzzardBoys68

Reaction score
Hey!

New to this, so please bare with me...

My '68 'Cuda 318 c.i. hasn't been started in about five years. I replaced the coil, ballast, points/condenser, cap & rotor, plugs & wires, fuel (drained tank) and fuel filter hoping that would be enough to get the old beast to fire, but nothing. It has always been a very reliable starter in the past.

I believe that I'm not getting enough voltage at the coil, 'cause I get nothing from the coil when I attempt (very cautiously) to get a spark from the coil wire to ground when turning it over. I tested it and have only ~7.25 vdc at the coil, only ~10.5 at the ballast. Is there another link in the chain that I could be overlooking? What should the voltages be? I've got a full-charged battery (12.27 vdc).

Can anyone help this rookie diagnose this?

THANKS! in advance.

grab a test light and put it on the dist side of the coil and crank ....light should blink if not go back to points and check gap at highpoint on cam lobe (dist) then check your wiring make sure nothing is grounded out on dist housing. if this doesnt do it report back and we will go to next step

Thanks for the quick reply, OUTLAW.

But, nada. No blink on the test light, nothing grounded. I'm pretty sure I'm not even getting the coil firing INTO the distributor. Again, I've only got ~7.25 vdc at the positive side of the coil. Is that acceptable?

Checking a couple other things - I found I have ~11.39 vdc at the IN side to the ballast... Why the drop from 12.74 vdc from the battery through the distribution block?

Thanks again.

That Is What The Ballast Does Is To Drop Voltage To The Points To Keep Them From Burning Out So Quick No Blinky Means Points Are Grounded
Make Sure The Little Terminal Thatthe Condensor And Points Clip To Isnt Touching The Breaker Plate Also Make Sure The Points Are Actually Breaking Also Make Sure You Have Power To One Side Of The Points When Open
ALSO CLEAN THE CONTACTS

no they have power all the time the key is on
use your test lite and ground one end and probe the open points one side will make it lkite and the otherside wont

i had a much better explaination written earlier but the forum timed out on me and wouldnt let me post

here is a quick run down on the ignition system for you

key on = power to (+) side of coil (possible on (-) side too depending on point position)

key on /cranking = power to (+) side of coil and blinking power on (-) side of coil should have spark @ coil wire

key on /cranking = power to both sides of coil (no blink/steady lite on (- )side)= points dirty or not making circuit to ground

key on /cranking =power to only (+) side of coil (-) side no lite no blink = points grounded

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

The condeser was shorted on the breaker plate. Damn! Turned it over on the third crank and now idling like a kitten!

Thanks OUTLAW!

Okay!
On to the next step...
Crawlin' underneath and getting at the rusty crap that needs replacing/repairing.

See ya'!!

-
Back