Battery/Alernator issue

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Went to do my new engine break in today and my new Battery was close to dead so I charged it up. I checked it with the multi meter and it says 13.48 volts when it’s NOT running. Looks like something it ‘Leaching’ power from it. Hoping you guys can give me some ideas of where to check or if I have it wired wrong?

Car starts and runs fine. Break in was a success minus an exploding rad cap!

Cheers,

53848F54-AC6C-4A2E-92B7-8C072F92D87D.jpeg

Remove the negative cable and put the meter between the cable and negative post and see how much of a draw you have. I don't think it should be over .5 volts. If it is, start removing fuses one at a time until the voltage falls off. If nothing in the fuse box affects it, you'll want to start removing power wires from big under hood stuff like the alternator, starter and flux capacitor. lol

Is this a 12 volt battery, not running 13.48 is ok after charging, also should start dropping down towards 12.6. If you really think you have a draw do what rusty says, but disconnect the negative lead and set your meter to AMPs and run it between the cable end and the negative battery post.

.03 AMPS or close.

If higher pull fuses and see if draw drops.

My favorite tool for finding a battery drain is a small bulb, like a dash light bulb. If you have one in a socket with wires on it it is easy.

Take off the negative cable. Hook up one wire from the bulb to the negative battery post and the other wire to the negative battery cable. It will light up if you have a current draw.

-
Back