Bias ply slicks

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
So. here is a question for some of the more experienced racers. When you are running bias ply slicks on the rear what do you run on the front. I'm under the impression that the wrinkle effect of the bias ply side wall is great for the track but I have always been under the impression that radials and bias ply don't mix. However, the tire salesman told me that her would run radials on the front but that is totally contrary to what I have always believed. The selection of 14" bias ply is somewhat limited as well.

Thanks

Don't run radials on the front. When I did it I thought my frame was bent it steered so bad. Run a skinny micky thompson front non radials.

That was my thought but they don't come in 14". Its a street strip car and I don't plan any high speed corners or driving in foul weather. That said I wan't to be able to cruise in safety.

Yea I now what your're saying about safety.

In an old dart I had, I had the largest 60's on the rear (non radials, and small 70 radial TA's on the front. The car kind of weavered once in a while on the highyway since I put them on.. The big thing was I was coming up to a hill and just as I got to the top the traffic was stopped, so I nailed the brakes. The front tires grabbed and it was like the back tires as big as they were didn't grab at all and within a split second I was going backwards at 70 mph. I managed to keep it shiney side up, but as soon as I got back the rear tires came off!!

Dumb things you do when you are young! Going to fast in a car you know isn't quit right.

I may go with the redline firestone 70 series. It will be a cool old school look and much safer than mixing and matching.

-
Back