Biggest tires for mini tubbed Duster

-

ProStreetDuster

Reaction score
I got a 70 Duster that's has been mini tubed and a 3" spring relocation kit
Also the inner wheel well lip has been trimmed. I plan on back halfing it later to fit some 33/21/15's and a 4 link, but for now I just want the biggest meats I can stuff under it to get this thing running.
When I was at a car show a few years ago a guy with a Purple Duster had Mickey Thompson Sportsmans 29/15.50/15 on the back, It had the 3" relocation kit and had been mini tubed. He didn't know the rim size or the offset though, but it looked KILLER!!!
This seems like it would be too tight, but It fit his car. I went back the next year with a camera and tape measure but the guy wasn't there.
The recommended tire size for the M/T's are 10-13" and the measured tire size was 12" with a sidewall width of 15.4 and the tread width of 12.9. So I'm thinking he used 10" rims to pull the sidewalls in. But would that give me enough room, remember my inner wheel lips have been trimmed also.
Any thoughts on this? They fit, I'm just trying to figure out how. Anyone else do this?

Ok, how about this, what is the biggest widest tire/rim combo anyone here has got to fit on an A body that has a 3" spring relocation kit and mini tubs? Also what offset worked best.

14x31 Goodyears.

Spring relocation kit, mini tubbed flush with the frame rail, lip rolled, front edge moved ahead.

Offset depends on rearend of course, but mine was narrowed to center the wheel/tire combo in the tub. Made for this car.

I have a friend that has 15X50's but they stick of the wheel well about 1.5 and the car stink bugs up

Duster have lots of room a 235/55/15 will fit eaisly

When I mini tubed my Barracuda, I found that tread widht wasn't the only thing to look at. Many tire companies can give you the section witdth on a tire. That can effect what fits more than tread width. So what I did was found what the measurements were in the wheel well. Springs to fender out side etc. I also measured from the center of the rearend to the front and rear of openings. Once I had kind of a 3D drawing made from all the measurements I went out and found a tire with measurements that would fit in there. I also found out where the the rear end wheel mounting surface was located and figured out what back spacing to use. That way I could center a large rim in the center of the well opening. My mini tub job on my Barracuda I put the springs in line with the frame rails and I was able to get a 11.5 x 29.5 x 15 Phenoix slicks into my openings. Good luck getting big ones in there.

Well I took a closer look and the previous owner who installed the wheel tubes left about a 1" lip out from the frame, AND he didn't install them straight up, they actually angle towards the fender giving me even less room at the top, so it looks like I'll probably redue the tubs since they were done very sloppy anyway. But from the frame to where I have the lip trimmed too, it's looking like roughly 16.5" of clearance. So a 15.4 sidewall width on a 15x12 rim should squeak in with 1/2" per side with the right offset, or I could use a 15x10 rim and get a bit more clearance, but how much?

Check out www.bigblockdart.com There is a lot of information in the tech section of that site on this very issue, even step-by-step guides on how to do the work yourself.

I've got M/T's 11.50 x 29.5's on my Duster with a stock width 8 3/4. I have Wilwood discs in the back which actually moved the tire out about 1/2" which makes it slightly off center. I've pushed the wheel openings out and rolled the lip. I modified the front and rear openings slightly with the front of the opening as far as I could go without cutting the rocker. I used a 10" wheel with a 6 1/2" backspace. This gives enough room to where they don't rub and don't protrude from the fenderwell so there is tire tucked up under the fenderwell. My next move is going to be to put a wheel tub in it so I can get a taller tire under it. A taller tire acts like a wider tire on launch as it squishes down. This way I can use a 33 x 10.5 tire which will give me plenty of launch traction. I'll use a rear wing (think pro stock style adjustable) to add down force down track and keep the car going straight. This way I won't have to cut it up for a back half and it will take some gear out of the car so I can add some cubes via a stroker crank. 10.0's here I come.

-
Back