bought a new MSD distributor

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I bought a new pro-billet distributor for my 440. It has mechanical advance. Any idea where to or how to go about re-curving the distributor? It came assembled with the heavy springs installed. Im not sure where to start with the re-curve. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Put the black bushing on it with the light and medium spring (Silver and Blue). Should be pretty good.

Throw those heavy springs in the trash... :)

Put the black bushing on it with the light and medium spring (Silver and Blue). Should be pretty good.

Throw those heavy springs in the trash... :)

bushing? I dont remember seeing that. Ill look again. Whats it for?

Thanks crackedback the instructions are what I have in the box. Does a 2800 stall play into what springs I should use?

Your motor will determine how to set the distributor up. Most RBs like around 37 - 38 total. The way to look at the bushings is that they will determine the "gap" or "difference" between the total and initial timing. The larger the OD of the bushing the less the difference between the total and initial. I think the black is the largest and has a 18 degree spread so with a total of 37 your initial would be 19 (I like to look at it backwards from total) - which may be too much depending on your build.. The springs determine how quickly the timing changes from initial at low rpm to total at higher rpm. The heavy springs are too much for just about any set up I have seen. The bottom line is that you will need to experiment with your motor to see what it likes. The good thing is that changing the bushings and springs are pretty easy to do on the Pro Billet dizzy..
I run the lighest springs and largest bushing in mine - but I also have an agressive cam, 11.3 CR and make close to 700hp. Mine needs lots of initial timing to start with and, with my cam the motor won't idle below 13-1400 anyway so as soon as it fires the timing is already advancing.

Thanks guys. Im gonna see what I can get into with this and ill post my results. It will be a few days though. I have to work on it when Im not at the job.

-
Back