Calender car

-

BHA43

That Kit Car Guy
Reaction score
Not A body but, this Kit Car was in many 2012 car type calenders & no one claimed that it was theirs.

carshow2012029.jpg

Well I was going thru a drawer full of old pics. At least 10 years & prob. older & found this pic.

carshow2012.jpg

I didn't take it so I guess someone gave it to me or sent it to me. The plate looks like Wash. state?

The calender car has a spoiler & rub bars on the bumper, but with the hood chrome, ornament & oversize lanyard cables it about has to be the same car!

Anybody know the car! It just has me wondering where I got the picture at????????????

Not from me... I never new racecar car spelt backwards was the same word..

it looks to be missing a sport mirror in the top pic..maybe not, its hard to tell. either way, very cool car

Could be the same car, one thing is for sure it is the same package # car..

By: Bob Tomaine on 5/24/2010
Plymouth's Volare Street Kit Car appeared in 1978, a confused time for high-performance cars in the United States, which helps explain its obscurity today. Drivers by then had accepted that muscle cars' successors combined struggling, emissions-controlled engines with visuals believed to imply speed. In that atmosphere, the Street Kit Car wasn't bad.

Introduced in 1976 to replace the Valiant, the Volare--like its twin, the Dodge Aspen, which replaced the Dart--was at the time a small car. The coupe rode on a 108.5-inch wheelbase and offered a 225 slant-six or a 318 or 360 V8 with three-speed, four-speed with overdrive or Torque-Flite transmission.

The Volare Super Coupe was a performance package that used the 360 V8 and emphasized handling via better suspension, tires and wheels but included flares, spoilers and matte-black paint. Plymouth built just 494 copies, but the Street Kit Car proved even less popular. It differed from the Super Coupe mostly in cosmetics and included bolts in the flares, hood pins, chrome, windshield clips and rear-window retainers.

Street Kit Volares were available only in two-tone blue, and the 360-powered cars wore "360 cu. in.'' on each side of the hood. Large "43'' figures on the doors and the roof explain the unofficial "Petty Kit Car'' name while adding to the aggressive look Chrysler wanted. Competition, from the AMX to the Cobra II to the Hurst/Olds W30, had graphics and spoilers, but the Street Kit Car's 175 hp topped those three and gave 0-to-60-mph times in the eight-second range. It was acceptable performance in the day, so why did Chrysler sell just 247 Volares and 145 Aspens with the Street Kit Car package?

"Richard Petty stopped racing Chrysler that year,'' said owner Aaron Yurkanin of Peckville, Pennsylvania. "As soon as Richard Petty left, they said, `Stop the presses.'''

The "Kit Car'' name, with its unfortunate connotation of a fiberglass body on a used chassis, probably did little to help. Another hurdle was the Volare's growing reputation for poor quality.

The Kit Car's interior is pure Volare, and the only hint that this is anything out of the ordinary comes on rough roads. The tires and suspension stiffen the ride, but they keep the car from leaning at all in some slightly immoderate corners.

The Volare's big surprise comes in town traffic; despite the big numbers on the doors, the flares and the wide tires, hardly anyone notices. And if it's unnoticed on the road, Yurkanin has learned from showing the Street Kit Car that it really is forgotten. Even his documentation is often dismissed.

"They still don't want to believe you,'' he said. :This kid thinks he's got a factory car. He doesn't know what stock means.' It's like they're patting you on the head and saying, `Son, you'll learn someday.'''
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100524/COLLECTOR/100529867#ixzz1UGA3knj9

~Michael

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100524/COLLECTOR/100529867#ixzz1UGA3knj9

Thank you Michael We have not gave up on this Plymouth.

Attachments

• Axle%20bearing%20change%20151.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Axle%20bearing%20change%20153.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 164
id like to get my hands on one of them front spoilers LOL

I have them cloned! $250 for both pieces!

And yes I believe the bumper was changed @ a later date & the spoiler added. Like I said my picture is at least 10 @ maybe 15 years old! I just can't remember where I got it! Heck I could have even sold him one of my spoilers?

-
Back