Can copper be used for fuel line?

-
Longgone said:
My flaring tool will only do soft metal (like copper) and I have a ton of it laying around the garage. I have the tools and the material and that`s why I was asking if it was used. I tried using steel and I can`t flare it without the edges cracking and I`ve also had a hard time making the sharp bends I need to get around the distributor and down to the pump. I guess I`ll just have to buy a steel flaring tool and some line to bend the piece I need. Boy, there`s just NO saving money at this hobby ,huh!

I installed Aluminum fuel line on a Mopar I had years ago from the fuel cell,electric fuel pump,to pressure regulator to carb and it was easy to flare. I got a roll of it out of Summit. I didn't have a bending tool either just bent it by hand. Used the rubber coated mounting brackets. Summit also.

Captainkirk said:
No offense taken, Kraby. Really.

Cool beans dude, too many assume they are being attacked because someone else thinks otherwise (I am guilty of it too on occasion) I just wanted to be sure you didn't think thats what I was doing.

oldkimmer said:
The DOT does not allow copper tubing for any lines, including fuel........kim......

Don't just claim it. Prove it, I searched for several hours (I had been home sick the last week, so when I get bored I read) after I had posted, I found NOTHING, not on any state DOT sites, not on any racing sites, NO WHERE. Show me the PROOF man. :headbang:

oldkimmer said:
The DOT does not allow copper tubing for any lines, including fuel........kim......
old kimmer, this is not aimed a you personally or you alone so dont take it that way please.
uuhh,,,,,, i just bought a roll of 3/16 brake line. steel plated copper. can post pics if nessesary. rated to 3000psi. whats up with that? could be that the copper makes it easy to double flare? could be that the copper compresses a bit to seal better? same vibration and heat potential as a copper fuel line. same stress cracking potential as a copper fuel line.
back to the a/c business. 3/8 copper tubing running pressures up to 400 psi, vibration, and temp variations from 0-300 degrees. off and on, all summer and winter long, for 15-20 years. fatigue cracks? rarely i think ill use the copper so call me cheap if you want but i KNOW YOU ARE WRONG

-
Back