Can I get to the paint below the current color

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My car was originally F8 Green and was changed to its current color which looks to be FJ5. A couple of areas like the hood hinges and an area on the fender near the headlight you can see the old color due to the paint coming off. Since my car still does retain its original drive train I would love to some day get it back to its original color, My quaestion is is there a way to get the current paint off to see what the original paint looks like underneath? If its possible it would be a huge job since the color change was done to the engine bay,trunk and door jams as well.....Just a thought.

Remove a door panel if the door is original to the car, lift the carpet are a couple ways, if you are looking for a way to just remove the topcoat, I don't think you will have much luck

Last edited:
You might also look under the Fender tag. There is a chance they did not remove it when painting.

My car is EF3 green , [light green poly (metallic)] with EF8 , dark green(metallic)] stripes . The original factory paint , either F3 or F8 , kinda sucked . The modern versions of these colors really look great in the sun . Especially with a clear coat . I wish you luck if you wish someday to return to the original F8 . It will be stunning .

Some areas to look for the original color- behind door panels, door seals, trunk seal, front & rear window seals, antifreeze sticker on the rad. support, heater motor seal. Not sure about the fender tag. The ones I have seen had rust under them.

When I removed my package tray, there was a nice original shot of the factory C7 Plum Crazy on my Swinger.

Some areas to look for the original color- behind door panels, door seals, trunk seal, front & rear window seals, antifreeze sticker on the rad. support, heater motor seal. Not sure about the fender tag. The ones I have seen had rust under them.
The floor pan and package tray are still the original color of the car. Whoever changed the color did do a lot like paint the door jams and inside the trunk and under the hood. However they did leave all of the weatherstripping in place so if you move it you can see the original color still. Even under the fender tag is still the original F8 Green....

-
Back