Can I use this distributor or not?

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I just purchased a Mallory aftermarket distributor part #3257911. The distributor has a flat plug with 3 wires going to the plug. one brown, one green, and one red. My question is, the factory distributor has a different style plug with one male and one female push in style plug with only two wires. How would I go about installing the Mallory coil? Do I need to get a different ignition control box? Or can I tie this distributor into the existing wiring? I do have a Mallory coil and am not sure if I need to run one of these leads to the coil. Please any help on this would be greatly appreciated. This distributor list for use on DA Ignition systems?? Please school me on this also if possible. Thanks- maniac.

hook the red wire to the coil +
hook the green wire to the coil -
hook the brown wire to the block or ground it to the frame.

What would become of the original plug on the existing wiring harness at this point? Does this just make the original plug a moot point as in it becomes useless ?

What would become of the original plug on the existing wiring harness at this point? Does this just make the original plug a moot point as in it becomes useless ?

Yes.

The led eye tells the coil when to fire, the coil feeds from the ballast or 12v source., similar to pertronix

Well connected it all up and changed the ignition wires and now no spark. It got too dark to try to figure out why I am not getting any spark. I will attempt to get it running tomorrow.

they also had some signal amplifier on them and thats what went into the three prong plug...

Not trying to be negative but make sure you have a spare rotor button for that Mallory distributor.... friend of mine had one on his 65 Chevrolet Chevelle and the rotor button broke. We was stranded in Pigeon Forge two days until the order came in at Advance auto. That totally sucked!!!!

the mallory uni's do/can fail around the one year mark.

They cost, or used to cost, $100 for a new led eye.

As for a signal amplifier....never needed one on my 429 ford and I haven't seen it in the list of must haves to run this unit.
All they say is to run a hyfire as it is easier 'plug n play' as opposed to a cut n splice.

the mallory uni's do/can fail around the one year mark.

They cost, or used to cost, $100 for a new led eye.

As for a signal amplifier....never needed one on my 429 ford and I haven't seen it in the list of must haves to run this unit.
All they say is to run a hyfire as it is easier 'plug n play' as opposed to a cut n splice.

I couldn't think of really what it was called so I said "rotor button" .... lol

You can order a harness from Summitt that has the correct plug on it. About $15 if I remember right.

-
Back