Can't get Radiator cap off

-

Serj22

Reaction score
Just like the title...

On my '68 I can't get the cap off. I have not been able to since I bought the car, which is embarrasing, but I am not afraid to ask for help when I should be able to check the coolant...

I follow the directions on the cap and the cap rotates, but no matter which position it is in, it will not pull off. Is it broken? Or am I doing something wrong?

It's a vented cap. I have already used it to spew a small amount of coolant on my mother in-laws driveway. My own little non-violent technique.

CAM00461_zpsa8060086.jpg

It says to turn and remove. Whether the vent is open or closed, it will not come off. It turns, but that's it.

The previous owner said the radiator had been replaced. Maybe he put the wrong cap on somehow? I had a similar fight with a locking gas cap when I bought it and had to drill out the lock. I still have a second locking one with the red ring on it, but am afraid to use it. I'll probably sell it later.

lift the tab , push down hard and turn counterclockwise..........its child proof LOL

Wait push down also? It doesn't say anything like that on the cap... I am apparently a child. Maybe that's why I can't get into medicine bottles either. Let me try it...

That was it. I had to push hard. You weren't kidding.

CAM00594_zpsca8a976f.jpg

Now I can actually put more coolant in...
you have no idea how happy this makes me. Thank you.

That was it. I had to push hard. You weren't kidding.

Now I can actually put more coolant in...
you have no idea how happy this makes me. Thank you.

they can be tough after being on there a while. glad you got it :burnout:

-
Back