Car Guy New to Mopars looking for an A-Body

-

y2k600f4

Reaction score
To be honest I am no expert on Mopars and have for some time wanted to own an A or E body car but it was never the right time in life for a variety of reasons. Through the years I have done some mechanical work on older and newer cars and I have the abilities to work on a project car but wanted to run by what I am potentially looking at from the experts on this forum.

I have been looking at 70-76 Dusters it appears they are still somewhat plenitiful and project cars can be had for $2-3K range in decent shape (looking for minimal rot) but are 6 cylinder cars. I currently looking at a 70 and 72 6 cyl cars mostly original that have for the most part decent bodies. My concern is the conversions needed to convert to a V8 including K-member or schumaker mounts, front disc conversion, torsion bar upgrade, rear end and or axle swap (so all BBP), steering linkage upgrade, finding a donar engine/tranny etc. and the cost of rebuilding those components. Do other's think it is worth trying to find a V8 car and paying the premium than starting with a 6 cylinder car...the extra time in trying to find the parts, labor to install even if I do it myself still time) and the costs of the parts and or donar car may ot weigh the benefits of finding a cheaper 6 cyl car. Any comments or suggestions, even estimated costs on conversion and cost of a decent 6 cyl vs V8 car would be appreciated since I am just starting out. Thanks.

It's usually cheaper to buy a finished car than to do it yourself. That being said most guys here would prefer to spend the extra money and do it themselves.

If you are motivated, skilled and have time to do the work then go for the junker and do a full build.

If your impatient, lack skills to repair/rebuild or are just ready to drive/enjoy then buy a finished car and tweak it to your taste.

No one will hate on you either way.

I bet there are several cars on this site that would suit your needs. I also suggest you surf e-bay to get an idea of what people are asking and what they actually get for their cars.

Good luck

Mop

I think you should try to find something that is as close to what you really want as possible. There will still be a lot of work to do. Unless of course you can pony up 17000 to 26000 for a finished car. But if you can start with a V8 car with a 8 3/4 rear end and very little rust you will most likely be $ ahead even though you may be rebuilding most of the components.

Thanks momoparman and Carman340 for the advice.Motivation right now is pretty high but not sure if I want the resto to stretch out for years ! No issues with skill but $ is probably the biggest issue. Don't want to shell out the $$ for a high dollar resto already done...anyway I think maybe finding a nice V8 car that is complete and unmolested would be my ideal find....will let me do the work and do it how i'd like. I'll check out the forum classified ads. Thanks.

Figure $6-8K for a decent starter car (V8 and 8-3/4) and you should be in the ball park.

-
Back