Car overheating !!!

-

superdart426

Banned
Reaction score
My car has been running hot so i flushed the the system and installed a new failsafe thermostat and i;m still having the same problem only worse,,,could the water pump be the problem???

Take the thermostat out. If it still runs warm it's your pump or blockage. I have been running my car all summer without a thermostat too btw so of that helps the problem just keep it out.

When is it overheating?

On the open road doing 45+ mph?
At idle?

Come on man, you have been around here long enough, you know we need more information before we can offer real help. :)

At this point I'm going with the "a plastic bag flew up and is now blocking your radiator, theory"

Yes sir on the open road doing 50 down the highway..she just spews out the coolant,,around town she gets real hot also..i had the radiator checked also and they said its clear..also the thermo I put in is a 180 degree

I have seen the impeller come loose from the shaft on waterpumps, but it's pretty rare.
Your bottom hose isn't collapsing is it?

Sounds like you have a flow issue, was it running hot before the stat change?

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that it was running hot before.

With the radiator cap off do you see movement? (don't take the cap off when it's hot)

out of the blue..went on a little road trip and on the way back my car overheated..i got home and over the next few weeks my car was getting hot driving around town and on start up I would have white smoke out the exhaust with an antifreeze smell..rustyratrod said my head gasket may have been compromised so I got me the bars leak head gasket repair and followed the directions exactlyon Friday..when I flushed t6he system and installed the new thermo and had the rad checked....tried to go about 50 miles to pick up a part and 20 miles into the trip she just overheated again so I filled her with water and limped home..i work 4 miles from my house so it doesn't get hot enough between here and there...any help greatly appreciated

Oh, well that changes everything. Hate to say it but I think you will be pulling the heads off.

This is more than an overheating issue, antifreeze smell and steam out the exhaust is a bad sign.

I think the issues are still related. I bet your exhaust is now going into the cooling system.

You can have your coolant checked for hydrocarbons. That would be my next step but I suspect that you will still be pulling the heads off.

-
Back