Carb

-
RockAuto has reman ones. I'm also interested in knowing if there's any other sources though.

how about trying to rebuild the one you have? I think the kit is like $35. If it works, GREAT! If you screw up, you still need a new carb. Same place you're at now.

The 1920 at Rock Auto is $117 + $30 core, so without sending in your old one, about $147. I have heard these are pretty easy carbs to rebuild, so if mine needs attention I'll probably just go that route.

I'd definitely jump on a $30 one if it was new/rebuilt. But was that a one-shot deal on ebay or do they show up regularly on ebay? Because if there's not going to be any more for $30 on ebay, then it doesn't really matter.

I haven't seen a complete used un-rebuilt 1920 on Ebay anywhere near that price, but ebay changes all the time...

Check out Slantsix.org for the opinions on re-man carbs. (executive summary, they don't like them). Rebuild kits are OK, but do not provide parts for the accelerator pump.

I got a rebuild through AutoZone, done by Holley. I ended up rebuilding it because it was jetted wrong and a circlip was left off the float shaft causing the float to jamb flooding carb. At least I got the accel pump fixed, which was why I got re-man in the first place. Between Holley and I, the engine runs as well as can be expected with 310K miles on it.

those carbs have to be the easiest carbs to rebuild in the world. the last kit i ordered from oreillys for 16.00 and the carb ran like a champ. dont waste your money on a new one until you find out if your old one will take a rebuild. there is nothing to those carbs. make note of every piece that comes out and the order that you took it apart. clean clean clean, set your float, replace the gaskets, set your choke, fire it up, tune it, drive it.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. "Remanufactured" carburetors are garbage.

Even though this wasn't my thread, thanks for the tips and links. I'm pretty sure once I get my 225 on the road, it's going to need a carb rebuild.

-
Back