centerline front runners

-

valiantpatrol

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of small bolt centerline front runners and one leaks air out from the center hub area where the two center parts come together with the tires mounted. Rims have no damage to indicate abuse and run true. I noticed that there was a heavy bead of sealant (silicone?) down in the groove where these two pieces come together in the tire area. Can I dig the old sealant out and reseal with silicone? or a special sealant? Does Centerline Inc. offer a repair service? Any others out there who have successfully dealt with this other than by using inner tube? All opinions appreciated.

yes, you can just dig all the old silicone out and re silicone the seam. I have done this to my centerlines. no problems

That's common problem with the skinny Centerlines . I have had mixed success in digging out old silicon and reapplying a new bead. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and needs a tube.

Dig out old silicon, clean them up as good as possible and reapply using 100% clear silicon would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to contact centerline directly in Santa Fe Springs. CA, and they confirmed a common problem on older wheels. For $25 (labor only) they'd reseal it. They said it is just regular silicone sealant, nothing special, and that preparation was the key to success.

New silicone will not stick properly to the old so, make sure your new bead is wider than the old. You need to get it as clean as possible... then clean it again. Same issue when re-sealing old glass fish tanks. At least the silicone is not holding the 2 pieces together like it does with glass in an aquarium.

I got the new tire removed yesterday and was able to literally remove the old silicone intact, as a ring. Not one bit of it was actually stuck to the wheel. So it is now easy to understand why it was not holding air. I'll be cleaning and prepping per your suggestions today and hopefully all will go well. Thank again for the replies and suggestions.

-
Back