Charging at 15.1 volts. Anybody?

-
Exactly. The battery has nothing to do with the problem except that it will be ruined by the high voltage. There is no regulation which does not mean the regulator is pooched necessarily. It could be connections, wiring, grounding too. I found that the electronic regulators regulated to 13.5 volts.

Check this all out first!

Stopped at NAPA on the way home and picked up a new Voltage Reg. I bought their best one to replace the Autozone VR. After installation of the new VR, I started the car and checked the voltage and still 15.0 to 15.1:angry7:. Oh well, now I know I have a great Voltage regulator. I got out another volt meter just to make sure this one was right and they both read the same. I even ran a ground jumper from the VR to neg on battery and still the same. I know I'll figure it out It will just take a little time. Keep your thoughts coming please.:-D

OK, too many new parts. You should check the input voltage to the regulator coming from the ign. switch to see if it's reading low. If indeed it's lower than battery voltage than the regulator will keep trying to turn on the alternator more than it needs to be. However, I can't tell you which wire it is because I don't have a diaghram accessable.

Ckeck/sand the regulator ground. If not that, check the ammeter connections (easy, stick your hand behind dash, and see if burns ensue).

Are you running a smaller than normal alternator pulley? That may spin the alternator faster that normal causing the high reading. Can the ballast resistor be causing this? It's been a while for me with charging issues.

Are you running a smaller than normal alternator pulley? That may spin the alternator faster that normal causing the high reading. Can the ballast resistor be causing this? It's been a while for me with charging issues.

If your regulator is working (correctly), spinning an alternator faster than normal will have no effect on high voltage. The output is totally controled by the regulator which can go as far as turning off the alternator

OK, too many new parts. You should check the input voltage to the regulator coming from the ign. switch to see if it's reading low. If indeed it's lower than battery voltage than the regulator will keep trying to turn on the alternator more than it needs to be. However, I can't tell you which wire it is because I don't have a diaghram accessable.
I believe I already checked and it was the same as battery. I've checked so many things I will redo to make sure.

I have gone to a voltage regulator which uses remote sensing.. ford style with four terminals marked I A S F

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/remotevoltagesensing.shtml

the sensing line on the regulator, is wired to the junction block in my Ron Francis wiring... Keeps my alt sitting at no more than 14 volts, when before it was at about 14.7..

MY 2 cents
Thanks for your input. This may be an option.

Ckeck/sand the regulator ground. If not that, check the ammeter connections (easy, stick your hand behind dash, and see if burns ensue).
All ground connections are new. I'll make sure to post photo of blister:-D after I check the Ammeter connections.

No, Its is the original dual pulleys(stock set-up) on the new alternator. The ballast resister looks stock and I never replaced it.

I'm going to start pulling and replacing fuses, one at at time, there looking a little IFFY(old). This way, as I pull each fuse, I will recheck the voltage output to see if there's a change. If not, I will stick in a new fuse. This way I hope to isolate the problem.

-
Back