Chasing torsion bars

-

pacer

Reaction score
Need help in finding .960 torsion bars suit an A body.
Found plenty of B body .
Does any one know of aftermarket units available.
I race in Australia in the IPRA which is a circuit race class.

The closest A-body size would be .920, Mopar Part # P5249151. Firm Feel also do a .940 bar that would be similar. Because A Body bars are shorter then B/E bars, they will have a slightly smaller diameter for the same rate. Also, A bodies are typically a little lighter and require less bar.

PST, Firm Feel and i think hotchkiss have a big selection of bars... what size sway you have, i wouldn't go anything smaller than 1"

The closest A-body size would be .920, Mopar Part # P5249151. Firm Feel also do a .940 bar that would be similar. Because A Body bars are shorter then B/E bars, they will have a slightly smaller diameter for the same rate. Also, A bodies are typically a little lighter and require less bar.

C130
Do you know if the .920 MP bars have the hex ground at the proper 30 degree angle as the stock bars.
Or are they ground at 15 degrees or worse yet at 0 degrees?

C130
Do you know if the .920 MP bars have the hex ground at the proper 30 degree angle as the stock bars.

pretty sure its just PST is the only one who does that but not 100%

Why are you chasin um? Are they rollin down the street?

C130

pretty sure its just PST is the only one who does that but not 100%

PST is not the only one that zero indexes torsion bars. Most torsion bars over 1" in diameter are not indexed at 30*, if they were you'd be unable to get the car DOWN to the stock ride height for many applications.

I know for a fact that 1.12" Firm feel bars are not indexed at 30*, for B/E or A body applications (I have both). Just Suspension 1" bars are not at 30* either.

The more important point isn't if the bars are indexed at 30*, its if they're indexing is matched well to the spring rate.

Need help in finding .960 torsion bars suit an A body.
Found plenty of B body .
Does any one know of aftermarket units available.
I race in Australia in the IPRA which is a circuit race class.

Are you limited to .960"? If not, there's a great many aftermarket bars that are larger and would probably have a more suitable rate for circuit racing.

I think firm feel indexes their bars at 15 degrees.
I have 1.03 hotchkis bars in the car now that has zero index, and the problem is you cannot get it high enough for ride heighth.
It just sits tool low for the roads around here.

I think firm feel indexes their bars at 15 degrees.
I have 1.03 hotchkis bars in the car now that has zero index, and the problem is you cannot get it high enough for ride heighth.
It just sits tool low for the roads around here.

Some of Firm Feels bars are 15*, I believe the bigger ones are less than that though. Hard to imagine a 1.22" bar with anything other than zero offset. Heck I'd think you'd need negative offset for those suckers.

I've heard the Hotchkis bars were too low, not enough spring rate for that amount of offset. I actually thought they had a recall on those bars, I don't think you can still get them for A-bodies.

I've heard some of those issues with PST and Just Suspension as well, although I was perfectly happy with the ride height with the 1" JS bars on my Duster. But its a small block car and I like a lowered stance in the front, so that may be part of it too.

Some of Firm Feels bars are 15*, I believe the bigger ones are less than that though. Hard to imagine a 1.22" bar with anything other than zero offset. Heck I'd think you'd need negative offset for those suckers.

I've heard the Hotchkis bars were too low, not enough spring rate for that amount of offset. I actually thought they had a recall on those bars, I don't think you can still get them for A-bodies.

I've heard some of those issues with PST and Just Suspension as well, although I was perfectly happy with the ride height with the 1" JS bars on my Duster. But its a small block car and I like a lowered stance in the front, so that may be part of it too.

I never heard of a recall on the Hotchkis bars, I know I still have my receipt on them.
You are correct about not having any spring rate to them, I think the stock .820 bars worked better.

I never heard of a recall on the Hotchkis bars, I know I still have my receipt on them.
You are correct about not having any spring rate to them, I think the stock .820 bars worked better.

Well, not so much a "recall", but I remember hearing that they were taking returns of those bars because of the ride height issues. They no longer sell the A-body t-bars.

Thanks to all replied , I am using a 1.25 sway bar with .920 bar, I have tried the 1.18 bars but couldn't dial out the the understeer on low speed corners .
The car has 6 degrees neg and 5.5 degrees caster .
I was looking for an in between bar to firm the car up in low speed corners.
The online avenues show the 920 and some 990's ideally the 960 would be suited.
Thanks again for the references .
Andrew Maros

-
Back