Chassis & Body Reinforcement

-

Top Heavy

Reaction score
I will be doing a significant amount of additions/revisions to the body of my Dart through the course of the build and would like to know materials used/recommended by others.

The majority of what I would consider to be the minimum of structurally sound as reinforcement materials is as follows:

Strut bar/down bars - 2" x 1/8" cold rolled round tube
Strut bar plates - 3/16" or 1/8" cold rolled plate
Torque boxes - 16 ga cold rolled sheet
Frame reinforcement/overlay - 3/16" cold rolled plate
Subframe Connectors - 2" X 3" X 1/8" cold rolled

Please add recomendations and experiences......... Especially photos!

There will also be a massive reduction in weight from use of aluminum and fiberglass throughout the build.

Fiberglass:
Hood
Trunk
Fenders
Bumpers
Inner fenders (custom)
Dash (custom)

Aluminum:
Heads
Intake
Water Pump
Water Pump Housing
Radiator

Suspension:
RMS Front
Triangulated 4-link Rear

The goal of the car is an extreme Pro-Touring build, and needs to handle. I want this car to look like it will do whatever you want it to, and actually do it. Ideally the car will be around 500 ci (Low Deck B) with 600ish horsepower and a manual transmission. There is a requirement for chassis an body mods for the car to control not only the suspension but the power.

i think idf skip plating the frame.

while the car is on the rotisserrie (SP?) id fully seam weld it. on my duster, the welds were horrible. if i had to do it all over again, id fully blast it and fully weld it.

full SCCA spec cage
do the subframe connectors through the floor
x brace he chassis from the front to the rear toprque boxes.

other than that, its lookin like a sound idea, other than the deletion of the inner fenders. at that point, id skip the subframe connectors, especially with the RMS front end, and buld a full chassis underit, welded to the body strcture and tied to the cage.

hope that helps.

The only major stipulation I would like to maintain is no cage.

I will reinforce everything, weld anything, but at this point no cage.

Who knows, I may change my mind as I get deeper in the build. All I can think of when I see a street car with a cage is the flashy "Pro Street" cars of the late 80's - Early 90's. Many were overly flashy, obnoxiously loud, had massive rear tires, full cages, and could also barely hit high 12's.

I'm not saying they were all like this, so don't start typing up a storm because you had a 9 second pro streeter, I am only recalling a trend.

-
Back