"Cheap" Weld Wheels: Ventura S104 - Opinions?

-
I'm kind of stuck in the same predicament, I think 18s can look good on the Duster/Dart Sport body, but I havent yet seen any hardtop Darts with 18s that have quite done it for me. I'd like to buy these wheels, but I think the rear backspacing is wrong for me. I have a B-body axle in my 68, & 275-60 on 15x6.5 Rallyes required fender lip rolling. That skinny of a wheel pulled the sidewalls of the tire in just enough. I don't recall axle width right now, but I was running spacers under the drums because someone had 2-1/2" drums on 2" backing plates. I just got the right backing plates from 72bluNblu so I can do away with that spacer, but thats only 1/4", just enough to finally mount the 15x7 Rallyes I bought from MrGTX a while back. Backspace was the same as the 6.5s, that 1/2" was fully on the front side. Going with 1/2" wider wheel & slightly less tire (255) and see where I am then. I want to have 2 sets wheels/tires though-cruise set & "performance" set.
I wish I lived closer and/or my car was ready for a road trip so I could actually try these on.

With the new motor days away from running, the BFGs had to go. I couldn’t wait any longer.

I went with the 17x8s. They fit perfectly with the 0 offset rears and 6” backspace fronts with a 1/2” spacer. I did the best I could with finding a good performance tire that also had appropriate diameters…The Falken Azenis is a perpetual favorite with autocross crew and the current RT660 model is a fairly recent revision. They have the requisite 200 treadwear and what seemed like minimal compromise in sizing. Of course, 245s are about the best you can do on an 8” wide wheel (if you want good handling/consistent contact patch). The 245/40/17 fronts are just under 25” and the 245/45/17 rear. 25.7”…definitely shorter than ideal but not ridiculous.

I had been running 255s on my old rear wheels so switching down to a 245 seemed acceptable but they really do look skinny back there. The shortness of the front tires helps clear the wheel arch but it looks a bit anemic because of it. I’m considering lowering the front another 10mm or so but those headers are getting pretty close to the ground.

Please excuse the less than tidy conditions. My garage is a mess along with spilled trans fluid after tipping it for the engine install…dry leaves came blasting in the door with the wind today. I did my best to crop most of the mess out of the pics. :D

Driving impressions pending.

View attachment 1715893624

View attachment 1715893625

View attachment 1715893626

View attachment 1715893627

View attachment 1715893628

Looks good. I'm about to purchase some RT660s. I can't wait to have more lateral grip! My Nitto 200TW tires aren't the best so I'm hoping I see an improvement around the cones with the Azenis.

-
Back