cheeta reverse pattern 2nd to 3rd problem

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I shift from 2nd to 3rd the rpms go up before it hits third. Trans does not slip it hits third firm just has a nuetral before it hits. It is an older valve body without low and reverse apply. Also it does not have a accumulator prop installed after removing spring. Does anyone know what could be wrong. Trans was built with a forward manual and was never installed. I bought it installed the reverse valvebody and a 5500 stall. I am shifting it at 7800 and it bounces off the rev limit which I have set at 8000. No matter where I shift at it jumps 200 on the 2nd to third shift. Kickdown band is at 2 turns.Could it be a line pressure problem. If its in third rolling about 50 mph on the street it will break the tires loose as it starts to hit peak torque. There 29 14.5 hoosiers with 456's so the trans does not slip when its engaged. Just on the shift. Anyone have any clues.

i dont have an answer to this but i do have a question that you might be able to answer i am running the cheetah reverse manual valve body and it works great i do understand that they do not use the low reverse band in gear so when i am in first and cruisng and take my foot off the gas it goes to an idle then if i mash it it raps up to just about what my stall is and takes off like a bat out of hell..just want to make sure this is normal lol first tranny i ever rebuilt and is holding up great..do you experiance this also??

Yes mine does the same thing its an older valve body. The new valve bodies apply the low and reverse band in low and from what I understand do no do what you described.

when i am in first and cruisng and take my foot off the gas it goes to an idle then if i mash it it raps up to just about what my stall is and takes off like a bat out of hell..

Do not do that. Thats how you take out the sprag. Very dangerous it it lets go.

Do not do that. Thats how you take out the sprag. Very dangerous it it lets go.

i dont do it all the time..but it sure is fun!! :snakeman: and i understand the consiquences so i try not to rod it too much but its just so damn hard not tooo haha

how about you put the accumulator piston in it and block it from moving. 2 turns on the kick down band seems a tad tight.
I am going to drop the valve body and put a prop above the accumulator. The band adjustment is suppose to be 2 1/2 turns with the stock valvebody . I read in instructions on web that the cheeta valve body calls for 2 turns on the kickdown band. I am not sure if that is for the early or late valve body. I have the early one. I do not have the installation instructions for mine. Thanks Steve

JimmyV I would not do that in low. I know someone who no longer has a right lower leg. He was doing the same thing. Having fun on the street. He liked the way it would leap when smashing it down on a roll. Not only did he lose his leg. They cut the roof off his 69 bee to get him out. Total loss of life as he knew it. Please take this advise serious. once it happens there is no going back.

i know i have read all the articals and warnings on it..i have done it maybe 3 times i know it only takes once!!! what is my best protection against that thing blowing..i was thinking of reinforcing my tunnel with steel plate?? or are the shields better

and also if i did do the shield i mean do they work or is it just more chunks of chrapnel to tear me apart.... also thinking about pullin the trans out this winter and putting in a super sprag cause as i am aware that is wear teh problem starts in teh first place witch causes teh drum to over rev am i correct?? a little off topic for this thread i know

i would say try readjusting the band?? that might be the problem..other then that i personaly dont really know..what else do you have in your tranny build? just curious

Coen bolt in sprag. heavy duty 6 pinion planetaries. Billet steel drum. heavy duty input shaft. If I had to do it over I would have bought a trans from . Ray Barton racing. My mistake. I thought I was saving money but after buying all the parts it cost me about $1000 more. And it still not right.

.........Im pretty sure that the front band is set according to the arm ratio u have.........give torque flight patty a call.........kim.........

...........For the 5.0 lever it is 1 1/2 turns,............what do u have for springs in the front servo........i'll check for the #...........kim.....................here ya go...............email addy.......... [email protected] Pat Blais Transmissions Seattle, Wa.......

-
Back