Clutch Problems, could use some suggestions.

-

CO/6

Reaction score
Just replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on a '74 Duster, 3 spd on the floor. Prior to the replacement (the clutch was shot), the pedal came back up on it's own with no problems. Now I step on the clutch pedal, shifts into gear about a 1/4 of the way down, but when I start to release it the gears grab hard, no sliding into gear like when the clutch was shot. (the best I can describe it) the pedal only comes up about 1/4 to a 1/2 of where it should rest. What's broken, or what did I do wrong. It's really Pi&%ing me off now.

I had the same problem in my 74 roadrunner, I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that it was possible the pressure plate was not evenly tightened down thus causing problems. That was not the case with me, my problem was a crappy clutch kit, when I broke down and spent the money for a high performance clutch problem was solved. I hope this helps.....good luck.

Did you pull out a three finger style and replace it with a diaphram style clutch (centerforce)?

You may have to take the overcenter spring off the pedal assembly if it's a diaphram style clutch. Put an additional/stronger spring on the fork arm to compensate for the lost overcenter spring.

I would agree that it is probably a low quality clutch problem. 90% of clutch problems are from cheap clutches.

Chuck

It's an Autospecialty Diapham clutch kit, made by TRW. The old one was diaphram as well. Just had to order new fork return spring and will try adjusting the free play again. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll keep you updated.

Got the new return spring, re-lubed the Z Bar bushings, set the throw out properly, and it's now working fine....better. Pedal comes up all the way up, still needs some playing with though, but I think the primary problem was there was too much space between the throw out bearing and diaphram. I'm chalking it up to operator/installation error. Maiden voyage around the block a few times (about 3 miles) with a bunch of shifting, was good.

Thanks for the input. Just got a new(er) 318 that we're probably going to install after putting some chrome extras on it and will have to do it allover again.

-
Back