Compression ratio

-

Thumpower

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the comp ratio on an assembled engine? I am looking at a freshly rebuilt engine for sale for $1200 and, if it hasn't already been done, I want to cut the head down for more compression before I install it.

A compression test is about all you can do. That only measures cylinder pressure, not static compression ratio.

What Rusty said, but with the compression test an a cylinder pressure, if you have the cam card you may be able to figure it out

If you want more you'll have to pull the head and start measuring. CC the chamber measure the bore and stroke. Then with a dial indicator see if the piston is above or below the deck. Then add that or subtract that from the chamber volume. Don't forget the gasket bore and thickness.

After looking for prices for parts, machine shop, etc., this sounded pretty good. I could rebuild my tired old slant, but this seemed like a good deal.

a good deal ???

there is a disassembled slant short block, on this forum with a parts list that is listed for 350.00

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=279802&highlight=slant+sale

that is a good deal,, you can inspect the parts-machine work and its well below retail.

also on this forum,, I have seen low mile slant motors for a 100 to 200,,
get in the right place at the right time you can get em for free,, I have anyway..

for a "rebuilt' engine,, where the seller does not know piston recession, chamber cc's, that would be a huge red flag,,, would make me wonder what else is not known, or was done on the cheap, or not done at all.. for that,,,1200 is flat high.

I'd sure enough go for one of those, but it would have to be somewhere reasonably close to me; don't know what the odds are. I've found slants to rebuild for that cheap, but, then, I've already got one of those!

-
Back