Coolant in oil 273

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I have a 67, 273 that I recently aquired and the guy who had the car said there was coolant getting in the oil. So far the heads have checked out okay and there`s no sign of a cracked block, however I have`nt had it pressure checked yet. One thing I have found is the timing cover has two wallowed out holes in it where the lower waterpump bolts go through it. It looks as if water could have gotten through to the timing chain area. Has anybody experienced this before AND does anybody have a 67, 273 timing cover to sell? The timing tab attaches to the RT/passenger side. Thanks.

Anything is possible as far as a water leak into the crank case from the water pump bolts - but I would imagine only if the cover is really really bad.

Changing the topic a little - I bought a set of .030 pistons for a 273 from a guy who rebuilt his - started it and tore it apart after one minute running - because of water in the oil. Turns out the water got in somehow around the water jacket near the oil filter. You might check there for casting flaws -

I dont have any of the old style covers - using the one i have, sorry -

I'd look in the swap meet section on this site or over on moparts.com for one.

Good hunting -

If your cover has the bolt on tab I have a cover that will work with your tab. $20 + shipping. I only have the cover, I don't have the tab.

Thanks for the reply 340mopar but I got one from a fellow member- bobs67cuda. Sure enough it was the timing cover, a hole on both sides at the jackets. It looked like an electrolysis going on in that aluminum cover between two cast iron pieces (block and pump)? Just ate the cover to pieces!

-
Back