Cordless shop vac

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so my trusty 20 year old craftsman 5 hp shop vac has finally decided to quit on me. I have to say it was a super sad moment when I first started to smell those electric eternals start to omit that I'm about to catch on fire aroma. Nothing says good bye like burning wires. Ok to the point. I am looking for a new one and the cordless technology is calling my name. I dont want to pull the trigger if the cordless ones have a significant decrease in suction. Wondering what some of you had success with and what to stay away from or if I should just get another corded one. Thanks

I had a cordless 19.2V Craftsman. It was a piece of junk. Would zap a battery in short order, and suction was weak.
JMO but, I feel sure that there are a lot that are superior to the craftsman I had..... But I would not expect a cordless to run anywhere near as well as a corded vac. esp. a 5hp version.

Craftman cordless tools have proven to be junk. ESPECIALLY their batteries.

Well I gotta say I have been very impressed with Home Depot's line of Ryobi tools, I have a plethora of them both at my shop, ( used daily ) and home ( used weekly ) so far I have burnt out one battery and one impact chuck broke so it wont hold the bit but still works, they have several cordless shop vacuums, the one at my shop has wheels and a decent capacity and goes thu hell, no problems, two years old now, I just recently purchased a "suitcase" style wet/dry vacuum for home for car carpets and light spills in the shop, its about as big as a small carry on bag and works amazing! however is a lot more light duty than the larger with wheels mentioned above, Ed

My friend has a Matabo 19.2 volt and it works good but it doesn't have the suction a 5HP Craftsman has by a long shot. I would buy one but I think I will wait till they get better and cheaper.

I’m routinely using and abusing my Milwaukee m18 portable vacuum. It works amazing well for blowing air (dirt / debris loose) or interior detail vacuuming.

Thanks all, So sounds like the cordless dont have the suction of the craftsman 5hp . To the guy that says all craftsman tools suck.That may be true of the new generation stuff.I have had 2 cr.5hp vacs In my lifetime and both more than paid for themselves. I probably won't go back to craftsman because I somewhat agree with your assessment of the newer . Maybe rigid next. I just would love to loose the cord, not the suction.

-
Back