Could anyone identify this carb..

-

grassy

Reaction score
..and how to set the float. I shot some carb cleaner into it this afternoon..it starts easily but it still sputters around corners..seems to be more left than right...

The PO went a bit nutz with the tar..can you buy wiring harness from the firewall out ? ..or is there an easy way to clean the tar off ?

Thanks
Ian.

931229225_sJzZw-L.jpg

931229323_rk4f6-L.jpg

Don't know the carb, but crap; that undercoating is going to be a b-----.
Mineral spirits, acetone, mek. And a mess. Do it outside.

My mom's 73 duster did the same thing new in '73. I bet that Carb is a Holley! Maybe....maybe a Carter. It should be cast onto the side of the bowl somewhere.

hey grassy how have you been?

it appears to be the 1 barrel /6 carburator possibly 170 CI? Im not sure if they were holley or carter. I have a really good working one still on a 1980 volare I might be able to part with if interested. I believe your not too far from me If I can recall

Can't ID the carb, but a good creme-type hand cleaner like "Goop" works well on wiring harnesses and rubber hoses. Removes the gunk without harming the insulation, or the rubber. Works well on greasy smudges on your plug wires, too. Just don't use a product that contains an abrasive.

So there should be a stamping on the carb somewhere ?

66ply..Blinker fluid ?? Just like the different colour power bands in an 2 Stroke MX bike :) ! Yup.. we are close...maybe 1/2 hour..were you at the Hantport car show ? I am not to keen on doing much with this engine because it will be history soon..my daughter is living with it but I would prefer that it working 100%. Do you know of any junkyards that I can grab a set of non mopar seats ?

The car has no rust....due to that crap...thanks for the heads up on cleaning..when we pull the /6, I will be removing that stuff and painting the bay with what the outside car will have later one..

When the engine bay is redone, does anyone put in a set of new firewall seals ?

The wire supplier looks good..

Grassy

So there should be a stamping on the carb somewhere ?

66ply..Blinker fluid ?? Just like the different colour power bands in an 2 Stroke MX bike :) ! Yup.. we are close...maybe 1/2 hour..were you at the Hantport car show ? I am not to keen on doing much with this engine because it will be history soon..my daughter is living with it but I would prefer that it working 100%. Do you know of any junkyards that I can grab a set of non mopar seats ?

The car has no rust....due to that crap...thanks for the heads up on cleaning..when we pull the /6, I will be removing that stuff and painting the bay with what the outside car will have later one..

When the engine bay is redone, does anyone put in a set of new firewall seals ?

The wire supplier looks good..

Grassy

there are a couple junkyards around that are fairly priced kinda depends on what you are looking for in a seat (from newer car or older non mopar?)
as for the /6 are you eventually going v8? . I was infact at the hantsport carshow and quite a show it was may I add! there was lots of mopars lurking there that day

I am looking for a newer style bucket seat..I am told that a Chrysler cirrus seat almost perfect..however, I am open to any that will fit.

Wasn't impressed with the judging however, the weather was perfect......one that I thought was just wrong was with the 1918 car being the voted most original...that was way off..oh, we did get a door prize of 3 small bottles of water..

Yes, I have a crate 360 waiting to go in.. :)

See you at the next show..

Grassy

Looks like a Holley 1945. It was used on 1974 & > /6s. You should be able to get a re-build kit for it just about anywhere. The kit will include a float and instructions on how to set it.

All the same, I recommend the FSM for how-to on the carb; particularly if you haven't delved into a carburetor before. The Holley Carburetors book you might find in a bookstore or on Amazon does not cover the 1 bbls.

Underhood wiring harnesses are available. There are three; engine, lights, A/C. Yr1 has them. They may be pricey, but they fit properly and color coding is very accurate.

Thanks. Oddly enough, I have the Holley book..figures that it doesn't cover this carb.

Thanks for the other tip if we cannot clean.

Grassy

Thanks for the other tip if we cannot clean.

Grassy

I like using a gas pressure washer for my degreasing jobs, no chemicals needed and it takes alot of stuff off that chemicals wouldn't touch, they can be rented for around $25- 40 for the day at a few places. I do enough engine degreasing I bought my own, a 2000 psi one works wonders!

Yes.....after we burnt out a "big box store" unit in under a year,we had one custom made locally so we could buy parts for the thing...you have to have one when you MX...both at the track and home so it has to be gas...

I am going to goon the Holley site to see if any info is there..

Ian.

-
Back