Cowl repair start

-
My car must have sat on a hillside because the drivers side is waaay worse than the right side. .

sounds like the work of road salt to me, that happens around here because the drivers side always gets hit with the splash up from other vehicles

You know...thats funny..because when I was looking around the ol internet today....came across a guy restoring a Mustang....and he had the whole cowl section...a NEW one...and it looked VERY simular to ours....hhhmmmm.....

I in the end used 4 end sections and 1 full cowl section to repair my 66 I got only one really good piece out of all of them. Thats why I decided to use bedliner once I was finished in the hopes it will never have to be opened up again in my lifetime.

Some of the parts were from a guy out in New Mexico that would disassemble blast pack and ship parts he was selling on ebay (most of the stuff I got from him was perfect) but when things got tough a couple years ago he was forced to hang it up. I sure do miss him!

Well....I'm going to cut the last 74 spot welds and pull the whole stinkin thing.....but first I'm gong to town to pick up more spot weld cutter heads. Yeah.............no. :)

Got the cowl removed...wowza! I aint scared......lol. At least I can see all the damage. Oh yeah...One 22. caliber hitch hiker as well.....

Attachments

• DSC07443.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC07445.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC07448.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC07449.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC07451.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 215
Thats alot worse than mine was....In the end you're going to do the same amount of fab I did. I don't envy you at all.

Thanks a lot man...:) Yeah......we'll see how it goes. I'm starting to hear the six million dollar man theme song.......lol....

Thanks a lot man...:) Yeah......we'll see how it goes. I'm starting to hear the six million dollar man theme song.......lol....
It wont be so bad, have it blasted. See what you got and build from there.....Looks from the pics I could see thats the worst of it. Hell I had to weld in new firewall, frame rail, floor pan and still have too get the trunk and extensions in as well as new lower quarters!

I'm waiting on a shipping quote on that...but I think it's like $75.00 via greyhound.....just dont have the cuckets quite yet....The 67 mu$tan# lower cowl SURE looks similar......I bet I could patch and piece it in.....

I am thinking about doing away with the intake all together....I will be running a mojave heater set-up, and since I will be doing that, there's no way to hook up the plenum to the round ports......so why bother? I need air...I'll turn on the unit.....crack a wing window open. No vents...no holes...no rust...not as much rust...:)

I've never seen one opened up that was clean.....It doesn't look like the factory did much to preserve this area out of the box?

Well...cut a little more off.....got bored...started taking apart the trunk area and inspecting for damage.....good grief. This things has perfect quarters, floors, etc.....but weird spots like the trunk seal lip and the area under the rear bumper are whack.....more work to do...got all the emblems off..the trim on the top mini fins...the back window trim....and the tail lights and harness.....onward.

Attachments

• DSC07508.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC07491.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC07525.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC07516.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC07498.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC07503.jpg