Cruise Night in San Mateo, CA Tonight! (7/17)

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
So, many years go, we all used to cruise El Camino Real in San Mateo. It was quite the cruise scene with three lanes full of classics. The turn around points were at 3rd Ave (downtown SM) and 31st (Hillsdale Shopping Mall). Some years go, "they" posted signs and deemed it a "no cruising zone" which killed what little cruising was left.

With that being said, the signs have been removed and several of the clubs are hitting the streets tonight for a little cruising action. I do not know what time it starts but we will be at Taxis Drive-in (which used to be an A&W back in the day) for dinner and then take a few laps (maybe more if it is busy out there). We will be in the '71 Butterscotch Dart.

Hi GTX,
Yeah I remember in the late 70`s driving the ElCamino in a good ole 57 Chev Bel Air. I remember sometimes it was so crowded it would take 15 - 20 mins to go one block.
Those were fun times for Hot Rodding. By the time I got my 72 Duster running the cops pretty much killed the Cruise.

I have changed the subject line date from 7/3 to 7/17 because there is going to be another cruise tonight (same location starting at around 7pm). The first one (two weeks ago) had a great turn out of parked cars in the Sears parking lot (@ Hillsdale Mall) but the cruising part left a little to be desired. There were approx. 125 cars but only a couple dozen actually got out and cruised. When the parking lot party was over approx. 9pm), most people just cruised home. We made 8 circuits/loops and rarely had any other vintage cars around us. Hopefully, people will actually cruise tonight.

-
Back