Cuda 4 Sale

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
...well, maybe just not yet, but it could happen.

I pulled apart the center carb and found my power valve,literally...., falling out of the metering plate. Ripped big time. I screw in the new valve, replace the original cork gaskets with the re-useable type, and put it together. Fire it up and set the idle. Runs great! Then it starts to stumble.... then it runs great. Then it starts to stumble.... Get the picture? I disconnect the end carbs and find the front one was ever-so-slightly open. Idle comes back to earth..... then takes off again. I hold my hand over the front carb and the idle returns to normal. Could dry rotted end carb gaskets cause this to happen? The throttle plates aren't open at all. The body to base seems tight also. These were brand new carbs, bought about 3 years ago, they sat for a year, were installed and used for a season, then the car sat about 1 1/2 yrs. They never really worked all that well from the begining. I checked the manifolds for cracks when I bought it and when I had it off yesterday. Floats are set to just dribble out of the sight plugs, and the idle screw do make it respond, it's just this friggen leak where she's sucking air....

I bought the gaskets for the end carbs. I just don't have the time right now to do them ( Mother-in-law's B`day.... we're going out to dinner) I did manage to drive the car for about 45 minutes. It was a mixed bag of running REAL good sometimes, but mostly running REAL shitty. To say I'm disappointed right now is a gross understatement. If I have to pull the six pack and invest in a complete 4 Bbl. set-up, I'll probably have a mental fireball and burn the bastard to the ground, or sell it......
cussing.gif

Oh, did I mention it back-fired again too? And that it seemed to run even WORST after that? I also bought ANOTHER power valve today too...

This is supposed to be a fun hobby. Instead it's starting to feel like a sucky-job that pays REAL bad.

I think youd be much happier with the single 4bbl and a car that runs good then a 6bbl that gives you lots of trouble.

Just wondering, What springs are you running in your MSD dist ? If you have the 2 lightest springs they may be causing the idle to move all over on you. Swap in one heavier one and see if it helps.

fastbackcuda said:
I think youd be much happier with the single 4bbl and a car that runs good then a 6bbl that gives you lots of trouble.

Just wondering, What springs are you running in your MSD dist ? If you have the 2 lightest springs they may be causing the idle to move all over on you. Swap in one heavier one and see if it helps.

Hmm.... I'm running it as it was straight from the box. I doubt that the springs are the whole problem, but I still have to play with the distributor in the future.

I'm yanking the carbs off tomorrow or Tuesday night and checking everything out. I'm really hell-bent on keeping the six barrel. To me, that's one of the things that will seperate my car from the rest.

With the exception of it being on fire..... :twisted:

Thanks for the input Adam. :thumrigh:

I believe they come with the heavy springs on. I think they don't allow the weights to open fully until 5200 rpm's.
The lighter springs let come all in by 2200rpm's

your in transition from your idle circuit to the main circuit. Make sure your throttle plates aren't past the transfer slot's. The PV has nothing to do with the idle circuit so I know your on the mains if the PV is affecting your problem at idle. Call me and I'll walk you through this. It's easy.

cell 319 470 2873
wk 1 800 584 7039

Brett Johnson

-
Back