DFEV or DGEV

-

1974duster225

74 duster
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the website and my first (of probably many) questions is this, I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster, 225 Slant 6, Automatic Trans, and i am wanting to ditch the factory 1BBL for a 2BBL with A better ignition (a topic i will address in a later post) and both a Clifford intake manifold and headers. I have heard that's a good setup for a daily driver granting not only affordability but acceptable power and fuel economy. my only problem is settling on the right Carburetor, i have read good things on the Weber 32/36 progressive 2BBL but there is 4 different kinds only 2 of which I am interested in, the DFEV which has a clockwise rotating electric choke linkage, and the DGEV which rotates counter clockwise, other than that i don't see a difference, correct me if i am wrong. which is the one i would need for my application, any help on this would be great, and alternate suggestions or comments are greatly welcome.

Well if your choke is manual then it doesn't really matter.
The cable would either attach at the top or the bottom depending on rotation.

The webber carbs are bitchin carbs but expensive kits to tune.

:read2:I pondered this same question about three months ago for my 225 Dart 4-door. What I wanted was something that would sip gas until I put the hammer down. I believe the DGEV is what you would want in the Weber line. Supposedly, the carbs are easy to tune. Although Redline/Weber suggested I use a DGAS, I couldn't see an advantage over the Carter BBD, which I could get for less.
Although I felt the DGEV was a more satisfactory choice than the BBD on the Super 6 manifold, the setup didn't address two concerns; even fuel distribution and EGR.
I did a comparison of the potential carburetors and came up with the following:

(cfm specs are subject to some speculation but I took what I could find at the time)

Carter BBD
310 cfm ..... both barrels active full-time

Weber DGEV
150 cfm primary
190 cfm secondary
340 cfm

Weber DGAS
380 cfm ..... "synchronous opening" both barrels active full-time

Holley 4160-8007
195 cfm primary
195 cfm secondary
390 cfm

Using the formula ((CID*Max RPM)/3456, the ideal carb would be approx 230 cfm using a 4500 max rpm. In all instances, the engine would be over-carbureted. IMO, the progressive carbs were the way to go. The closer a gas engine gets to WOT, the more efficient it gets under normal circumstances.

I looked at 4 bbl manifolds and came up with two initially, Clifford & Offenhauser. (FWIW, Mopar Perf recommends the Offy/390 Holley for General Purpose use, a 600 for race use.) Then I saw an AussieSpeed on e-bay. The SL6 fixes the fuel distribution problem and does not have EGR. These guys are a little pricey as you're importing them from Australia. Since I got an acceptable buy, I have one. I blew a bit more of the budget than I should have, so I'm having to re-charge before I spring for the Holley.

Since my purchase, there are some guys over at Slant6.org putting together a group purchase for a manifold out of South Africa. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment. On the Offy and SL6, the carb is mounted fore and aft. If you go with the HyperPak manifold, the carb mounts transversely. I've heard of some fuel distribution issues with it as well when used on the street.

That's my story on the subject. Hope it's helpful.

There are a number of different styles this guy is working on and they come in about 100$ less than the Offy. This guy also seems incredibly knowledgable,maybe he could answer your Q? The link is over here.

-
Back