Did They Make Square Bore AVS Carbs Made That Only Had The Small Bolt Pattern On The Base Plate?

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought an Edelbrock CH-28 440 2x4 intake last year and never really paid any attention to it until last night after seeing one with carbs for sale on Facebook Marketplace.

Then I discovered it only has a small base plate bolt pattern. I am okay with that, but I think it would look tacky with extra bolt holes on the larger pattern carbs hanging over the sides.

So other than running a spacer, or using carbs with dual bolt patterns I was hoping that Carter made AVS carbs with only the small bolt pattern on them.

What say you carb gurus?

Thanks,
Tom

1711668318122.png

I believe all the AFB/AVS carbs had similar base plates. You may need to look at the real early WCFB's if that's important to you.

Well I wouldn't be interested in using WCFB's just for the fact that parts are probably really difficult to acquire nowadays.

I really like AVS carbs the best, but wasn't sure how early they made them and if they had small pattern only versions.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what turns up, or worse case I'll just sell the intake. LOL

Tom

No AVSs that I'm aware of, but AFBs did up until the mid '60s on big blocks and until '67 on the 273 Commando/Charger motors. Some of the late '50s/early '60s 4 bbl. and dual quad Polys used them too, I believe.
Moparlouie has a current for sale ad for some of the 273 carbs, for reference.
1711670508872.png

[FOR SALE] - Carter 3853s carb
As you can see, the front right still has an inner and outer hole for some reason; but they aren't dual-pattern carbs.

The AVS has the wide mounting pattern but Carter kindly added the extra width to the mounting feet for both bolt patterns.

All you need to do is drill the holes. Done it many times....

The AVS has the wide mounting pattern but Carter kindly added the extra width to the mounting feet for both bolt patterns.

All you need to do is drill the holes. Done it many times....
Why not try actually LOOKING at the picture he posted? Maybe with your glasses on?

I bought an Edelbrock CH-28 440 2x4 intake last year and never really paid any attention to it until last night after seeing one with carbs for sale on Facebook Marketplace.

Then I discovered it only has a small base plate bolt pattern. I am okay with that, but I think it would look tacky with extra bolt holes on the larger pattern carbs hanging over the sides.

So other than running a spacer, or using carbs with dual bolt patterns I was hoping that Carter made AVS carbs with only the small bolt pattern on them.

What say you carb gurus?

Thanks,
Tom

View attachment 1716228202
Tom, as good as you are with fabricating aluminum, I'd bet you could trim those ears off the base plates and get them to look pretty clean. Just a thought.

What say you carb gurus?

Thanks,
Tom

View attachment 1716228202

AVS carbs were the larger bolt pattern and large air cleaner opening. The small pattern and smaller air cleaner opening was used up to 1967 but still had the same mounting pads, so they would look the same with the narrower bolt pattern. Those mounting pads were used on all Carters from the late 50's thru todays clones.

Not all AFBs had both both bolt patterns, but the bodies were cast so that they could drilled for both bolt patterns.

RRR,
You can borrow my glasses. I said drill the carbs, NOT the intake....

RRR,
You can borrow my glasses. I said drill the carbs, NOT the intake....
What would the purpose be? The carburetors already bolt to the intake, sir.

OP is wanting to use Carter AVS carbs. They do not have the inner set of mounting holes drilled, to suit his intake, so he would need to drill the holes in the carbs....

OP is wanting to use Carter AVS carbs. They do not have the inner set of mounting holes drilled, to suit his intake, so he would need to drill the holes in the carbs....
Ok my friend. My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.

How is your toilet working? Mine is working good.....
LOL. Sorry my friend. My mind is like a steel trap. When it gets hold of something it won't let go.....even if it's wrong. LMAO.

All good mate. Always a beer in the fridge if you are in town......

Or run a big air cleaner and nobody would see them! :lol:

Well that's not going to work because I would know and I am a really picky customer. LOL

Tom, as good as you are with fabricating aluminum, I'd bet you could trim those ears off the base plates and get them to look pretty clean. Just a thought.

I like that idea!!!

Currently I am thinking of making a set of spacers that have the smaller pattern counterbored and use socket head allen bolts to attach them.

Then I can add the wider pattern to the spacer and just bolt AVS carbs to the spacer without having to modify anything on a carb. I think this would be the best of both world's.

I have one really nice 4640 AVS and if I can find another one I'll probably go this direction.

Tom

Last edited:
Making a spacer is a LOT of work to mount carb that can easily be drilled to work with your intake......... & it will not harm or weaken the carbs.
I have TWO engines that have 4500 Holley bolt pattern intakes......& they TQs bolted directly to them without a spacer.

Making a spacer is a LOT of work to mount carb that can easily be drilled to work with your intake......... & it will not harm or weaken the carbs.
I have TWO engines that have 4500 Holley bolt pattern intakes......& they TQs bolted directly to them without a spacer.

They aren't that hard for me. I just have to draw them out in CAD and run them on the CNC mill.

Tom

-
Back