Diff noise diagnosis

-

'70-Challenger

Reaction score
Alright so when me and my cousin bought the dart back in august 2010 the previous owner told us that the rear end was very loud.
Now after we towed the car back to my cousin's place, we started tear down
Later on i remembered how she mentioned the rear diff was making a noise so i went under the car, and took the diff cover off. Grabbed a light and took a good look. Well the only thing i could see wrong was the lack of oil. There was like 2 drops. I was expecting oil to pour out when i removed the cover, but nope.
The ring and pinion gear were in great shape, no apparent damage.

So why do you guys think it was so loud? Improper gear mesh, something else, or just because the lack of oil?

Alright so when me and my cousin bought the dart back in august 2010 the previous owner told us that the rear end was very loud.
Now after we towed the car back to my cousin's place, we started tear down
Later on i remembered how she mentioned the rear diff was making a noise so i went under the car, and took the diff cover off. Grabbed a light and took a good look. Well the only thing i could see wrong was the lack of oil. There was like 2 drops. I was expecting oil to pour out when i removed the cover, but nope.
The ring and pinion gear were in great shape, no apparent damage.

So why do you guys think it was so loud? Improper gear mesh, something else, or just because the lack of oil?

Duh? Yea the lack of oil. Fill it up and try it out, the damage may already have been done.

Couple drops means the carrier bearings werent lubed properly so they are probably shot.

they'll sing with too lil oil.

they'll also sing if the rings worn, if the pinion go's too they'll grow'lln whine

if it sounds like gravel on and of the gas, the carrier bearings are shot or both inner/outter pinion bearings

if it sounds like gravel or ply wood dragging on cement when decellerting-pinion bering, inner i believe.

it's worth the $9-$12 to fill it and test run it.jmo

it's either gonna howl right off the bat or be quite.
I would test run it, but the dart is in shambles. Wont be able to run it until april. I'd rather take it apart and find out the situation now, rather than later when the car is ready to go, so i can fix it now.

-
Back