Diff U bolt torque spec

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hellooooooo FABO,

I have seen mentions of 45ft/lbs for U bolt spec.

When i get out the ol torque wrench and start in on it (snap on click type....side note, 45 ft/lbs is the LOWEST setting), using as smooth sweeping steady motion as i can..... 45 seems like A LOT!! I feel like its gonna start distorting the tube.

What about navy torque and a smidge of loctite medium??

What say ewe?

Also, the U bolts are not new, and i am using flat washers.

Thanks FABO!!

Yeah 45 is a really low torque value. You shouldn't be feeling like you're going to crush the axle tube. Sounds like it's time for a new torque wrench.

Yeah 45 is a really low torque value. You shouldn't be feeling like you're going to crush the axle tube. Sounds like it's time for a new torque wrench.
it's a pretty sweet low miles wrench. I've had it a long time. Maybe I'll calibrate against some of the others.

So you are yaaa or naaah for navy torque and medium (blue) lictite?

. 45 seems like A LOT!! I feel like its gonna start distorting the tube
If you are using the flattened OEM style you will be ok.

Most people crank them down to 100 or more and that's where the tube crushing comes from, that and using round u bolts that put a huge point load on the tube

I have photos of one of my housings that was crushed you could see the perfectly round indentation on the outside and bumps on the inside

it's a pretty sweet low miles wrench. I've had it a long time. Maybe I'll calibrate against some of the others.

So you are yaaa or naaah for navy torque and medium (blue) lictite?
I guess you can. Those are important enough fasteners though, that I'd like to know a little more than "Navy torque". lol

FSM lists 45 ft/lb for 8.25 & 9.25 axles

a smidge of loctite never hurt nobody.

i doubt the calibration is wildly off. you're more than likely just fine.

Do a little on each side to keep the u joint centered
Ya, i was keeping an eye on the thread count, but i felt like it was getting too tight with no click.

So ill rig up some nuts and bolts in the vice and check wrench against a couple of others. I'm pretty sure it's good, but better to check.

You don't need loctite on those fine threads nuts. the next guy won't be very happy if you do use it.

You don't need loctite on those fine threads nuts. the next guy won't be very happy if you do use it.
Ya, I'll try again, see what i come up with.

Maybe the U bolts i got are stretched? That still doesn't account for feeling like its gonna crush the tube.

Ill work on it soon and try to remember to circle back with results.

Are we talking about the U bolts for the axle housing to the shock plates?

I've never heard them called "U joint" or differential bolt.

I've always just tightened them to the point to not having a discernible gap at the plate and just a smidge more.

I've never heard them called "U joint" or differential bolt
I thought i referred to them as U bolts but the brandy might have been taking over last night.

I think Dana was referring to the bolts ability to "side saddle" when only tightening down one nut and not being judicial about exposing equal threads.

So, yes.... the axle U bolts and plate situation.

Last edited:
There are U Bolts that go around the axle housing and through the shock plate to hold axle to leaf springs.

Then there are U Bolts on some pinion flanges to hold ujoints to the flange.

We are talking about U Bolts that hold axle to leaf spring right?

Also Loctite is not Loctite. We have Red Loctite made for stuff that never ever should be ever taken back apart ever again its permanent. Then there is blue Loctite which is made for things that will need to be taken back apart again. Then there is off brand Loctite that comes in Medium and High Strength. So when you'all say "Loctite" exactly what strength are you talking about? Cause the uninformed may put the red stuff on threads and never be able to get it apart again. If you recommend Loctite make sure you specify type strength levels because not all Loctite is the same, right?

I've never had U bolt nuts back themselves off.
Never even heard of it.
Usually after a few months exposed to the elements, they form their own "lock tight".

Thanks for the response.

If there were a bunch of responses talking about someone actually crushing the axle tube then i would really worry.

Ill do a quality control on the torque wrench and cinch it down.

Thanks Again!!

red loctite on everything, cuz **** the next guy!

.... and then you are the next guy... *sad trombone*

-
Back