Dipstick tube removal. Ideas?

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I have a long thin punch that will fit down the hole and JUST catch the edge of the tube, but as soon as the hammer hits, it slips off. The hole is the same circumference all the way up and down, making it really difficult to get a good bite with the punch. I just can't get the angle I need to catch the lip. The tube is in there too tightly to pull out from the outside of the block with a vice-grip or anything like that. Anyone had any success with this? As you can see in the photo, there isn't much room to play with.

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Punch.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Hole.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 197
Do you have a piece of metal round stock that will fit inside the tube? If you do, turn the block over and spray some PB Blaster or equivalent on it and let it sit for a bit, slide the round stock in the tube down as far as you can, that will help keep the tube from collapsing when you grab it with some grips. Grab it as close to the block as possible and try slowly working it back and forth in a rotational motion to break it loose.

A little heat might help too, propane torch.

Just remember to turn slowly and watch the tube closely to make sure you aren't twisting it.

Thanks for the tip BadSport!! That bar stock fit pretty snug in the tube. I put a vice grip on it to back it out because it seemed to be too tight, and as I twisted on the bar stock, the dipstick tube started to spin out of the hole. Once I had it out, I rested the lip of the dipstick tube on the vice jaws and drove the bar stock out with a smaller stick of bar stock. Thank you BadSport, and thank you FABO. The best online repair manual!!!:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Attachments

• extracted.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 193
  • tube and bar stock.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 193
-
Back