Do wilwood discs fit with 14" Ralleys?

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
I currently have the Scarebird setup on my '65 Plymouth Barracuda. I like it quite well, but I think I can do better and so I'm contemplating Yet Another Brake Do-Over.

I'm also adding an 8 3/4 posi rear end, so I'm also thinking about rear disc brakes also.

The Barracuda currently has an aftermarket vacuum booster and a master cylinder from a Dodge D100 pickup (two bolt style).

I'm eyeballing the Wilwood 140-11022-D kit, which is nice because it works with 9" spindles and I can keep my pretty Ralley (rally? rallye?) rims with the small bolt pattern.

They also offer a rear disc kit with an internal drum parking brake hidden in the rotor. Slick setup.

I'm also eyeballing migrating to a hyrdo-boost setup since I already have power steering.

The only thing the technical support guy at Wilwood didn't know, and what I haven't been able to find in the Mopar forums is whether or not this kit will fit stock 14" Rally (ralley? rallye?) rims. Does anyone know with certainty?

Thanks.

-m.

I've been looking at that kit also.
I know from reading posts on here that someone else used this kit and wasn't able to use his large bolt rallys.
Its probably the same for the small bolt rallys.

I downloaded the install manual for this kit and it says "It is important that the center hole clearance be 3.24” or larger to clear hub snout in the kit".
Meaning the center hole of your wheel.

hope that helps

The website says 15" wheels and up. I have a set of 14" Cragars I bought in the summer. I was contemplating selling my stock 4 piston KH set up and going with the wilwood, now , not sure.:dontknow:

Its a real mystery, isn't it? It looks like the SSBC kit with work for sure, but the Wilwood is as yet unknown to me. The website says 15" and up, but it also says it will work on some 14" rims. It's interesting in that the SSBC rotor is .25" larger in diameter than the Wilwood rotor, so it must have to do with the hub and spacing. Also, the SSBC kit requires the 10" early spindle. That's $150 extra on top of the $100 increased price over the Wilwood. I'll go with the SSBC if I need, because $250 in additional parts is still cheaper than a whole new set of 15" wheels.

The Scarebird kit works perfectly well, but I'm going to transfer it to my Dart. My later plan is to go nuts with a /6 motor. I like cars that stop. After I dropped a larger bell housing and a 360 into the Barracuda, the weight increased significantly as did the stopping distance and did the foot force to get the brakes to lock. Hence, the Barracuda gets Yet Another Brake Setup and the much lighter Dart will get the Scarebird setup.

-m.

m, give this a shot; check out the General Information on page 3 of this document,
http://wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds758.pdf
Note "Figure 2. Wheel Clearance Diagram". Cross-reference the measurements in this diagram with what you get off your wheels. This should tell you if your 14" wheels will clear (it looks like if they do, it's not by much). Good luck and let us know what you find out (I'd like to know too).

Note: "It is important that the center hole clearance be 3.10” or larger to clear hub snout in the kit."

The main problem with using a small bolt pattern steel wheel is lug nut size. The Wilwood uses 1/2" studs and the small bolt wheels are for 7/16". A 1/2" lug nut will not safely mate up to the tapered seat on the wheel. My 14 X 5.5 small bolt wheel physically fit over the caliper and onto the hub.

Attachments

• DSC02582.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 275
Half-inch threads. Interesting information. I wonder if Wilwood assumed (incorrectly) that early A-bodies with the small bolt pattern used 1/2" threads, or if this hub has many applications elsewhere. I suppose one could circumvent the issue by purchasing the optional non-drilled hubs and then have a machinist tap some 7/16" threads at the right points, or by miraculously finding lug nuts with exactly the right taper.

Hmm.

I have been eyeballing the wilwood kit myself. I have a 65 cuda w/10" drum all the way around. Currently running 14" Cragar SS wheels and I do like the look I have, just need to upgrade the brakes w/out changing out wheel/tire combo.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I've placed this project on the back burner for a while. In the meantime I've found an 8 3/4 rear end that I'll just keep with 10" drums. I'm a bit surprised that no one definitively knew whether or not the Wilwoods fit in the 14" stock Rally rims. Wilwood doesn't know, either. Unless I hear that it does, I'll just spend the extra $200 and go with the SSBC kit because I know its a sure thing.

-
Back